Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar FX's bad?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oddman545, Mar 19, 2002.

1. My friend wants to give me a small Danelectro (I think) overdrive. Will it work, and will it harm anything?

Oddman

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Doubt it'll harm anything, but it won't sound good. Just pick up a Zoom multi-effect unit for like 70 bux, it's worth it.

3. ShadosOfKoRn

ShadosOfKoRn Guest

Mar 19, 2002
    De Pere, Wi 54115
    i have a zoom, its not too bad the tuneronthem are a little bit off but the fx are really kool, but the gitar effects will suck and may do something, like give you reall bad feedback

4. Any danelctro guitar distortion (like most individual pedals) will sound WAY BETTER then any distortion found on a zoom multi-effects pedal... ESPECIALLY if its a real danelctro pedal (not a mini)... the Fab Tone actually sounds really good on bass.

"Guitar" effects do no harm in any way. Many high end ones are EXCELLENT on bass (Tube Screamer, Phase 90, Big Muff, any really high end effect)... cheap, plastic zoom pedals will sound just like they are made and give it far more noise.

5. Hmmm...
    I don't know if it's a mini or not, but it's pretty small, it's an overdrive and I don't really want a whole big thing, just something that does like overdrive, that it. If I want more later I can always just add it right?

6. Just got a Big Muff and it's far better sounding than the Boss ODB-3. It's a guitar effect but it doesn't seem to kill my lows like other guitar effects do.

7. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    In defense of the ODB-3 I love the sound I get from mine. The secret seems to be to really drive it. I have the gain set about 4oclock and the blend set about 3 with the tone fairly flat. Used with my single coil passive Aria pro 2 the sound is really fat and GGGGGRROOWWWWLLYYY!!!! Used it in the studio and loved it!! It gets a lot of flak but it's a mainstay on my pedalboard.

Mind you, I also tried the guitarists vintage sovtek bigmuff and the sound out of that was sweet as!!
    I found it to be more gutteral. I'm cerrently investigating second distortion pedals and it may have to be a big muff. We'll see.