1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Oct 3, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im currently gassing for this:

[​IMG]

It just isnt right though. What do you guys think, is it a decent guitar or is it not worth the pain and misery?

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Save your money....Buy a bad ass bass!!! :)

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Go for it! Hey, I can barely play three chords, and I still GAS for geetars!

I have a SG, a Seagull Folk, and a Sigma 12; I would love a Martin 000-15S, a metal-bodied resonator, and a Tele.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I want an Ibanez JS1000. I think I would be happy then.

5. IF i would get a guitar it would have to weigh about 3 pounds, and have a floyd rose.

6. That Schecter (?) has a beautiful finish and they are put together really well. I might find the inlay a little much - with guitars I think about how it will look in 20 years. I wonder if the "tats" on it will look soo turn of the century...but maybe it's just cool forever.

7. That's actually an Ibanez.

8. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    *Curls into a ball and rocks back and forth* no more guitars no more guitars, the guitars can't hurt me anymore. :bawl: *hugs his bass tightly*

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks nice enough if it's not too expensive. I like the carved top and through-body string. Looks very similar to a Custom Shop Schecter I had once. :bawl: I miss that guitar!
    My current guitar G.A.S. is a 68-72 Les Paul Custom in black with LOTS of wear, original frets, and possibly a broken headstock, if repaired right. I found a '71 today at a great price, but it was a re-fret, so it didn't have those almost flat frets like the originals. I want a "fretless wonder". It also was too clean. I want one with a good bit of wear.

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Its actually an Ibanez SX, its a copy of a PRS if you cant tell. I think its also one of the only Ibanez's with a string thru body. Its advertised in the local magazine for $1095AUS, about 750US.

Nah, i gotta get more bass gear before i go out schpending big on guitar stuff. Pretty cool inlay aswell :D

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Bah, be a man, get a real* geetar!

[​IMG]

:cool:

* "real" in the terms of "retain a slight bit of your street/bassist credibility"

12. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was playing around with my guitarist Josh's Ibanez RG7420 (7 string), and that gave me a guitar bug.

He was cool enough to lend/give me his RG120 for screwing around on. Needs new strings, the jack needs to be resolded, and a saddle for the high E, but that'd all run me all of $30, and I'd have a kick ass little guitar to shred with.

Probably gonna string it from B to B.

GAS wise, I'd love an Ibanez RG7420 like his, or a Schecter A-7

13. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have an RG ibanez guitar from a friend, that also needs a jack, a new high e saddle, and a pickup switch. Can you buy individual saddles?

14. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I imagine so. www.allparts.com or www.stewmac.com should have them.

Probably listed at replacement saddles for Fender or some such. It's a standard saddle, so I think any one of a similar nature would work.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Kirbs, you're in Melbourne right?

I played with a guitarist on Sat who had a guitar made my a Melbourne Based company (Belari I think. I can find out for sure later). It made his spare guitar - a Les Paul - sound like a toy. Like the PRS it's got 2 humbuckers which can also be split into single coils, so it's effectively a LEs Paul and a Strat in one guitar.

I have no idea how much they are but he did say it was cheaper than the Les Paul. I'm interested to see their Bass guitar offerings.

16. I can play a few chords, but I still like playing guitar because you don't have to play chords to come up with stuff :D

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Update.

The company I was talking about is called BELMAN. Click here to visit their website. Looks like my mate Luke had and "Albatros" model with a flame maple body and a greeny finish. I was beautiful.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm gassin for an old Kramer or something similar. Nice 'I just paid a hundred bucks for this piece' type vibe.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bah. I don't like Ibanezesezes in general. I understand your pining for a guitar, though. My advice is this: Try a PRS Santana SE. I played one briefly, and I've never wanted a guitar so bad. Even though they are remarkably affordable, I can't afford one at the moment. If I could, however, I would get one of those. Give it a shot. ;) It should come in at least $200USD less than the Ibanez.

20. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive seen a few PRS' here in oz, but never played one. They're always sealed off in music shops with the kirk hammett signature ESP. I understand why, because the cheapest guitar in tat area of the shop is worth $3799...:meh: