Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Head-->Bass Cabinet???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MstrBasser, Jul 9, 2005.

1. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    Allright guys, I got a bit of a problem. I know this may not exactly belong in this forum, but I could not think of anywhere else to put it. Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to put a guitar head into a bass cabinet. I have a Hartke VX410 bass cab (dont laugh), and was wondering if a Crate G600 XL (dont laugh again) would work in conjunction. Will it sound bad and screw things up? Also, I plan on using it in conjunction with a Big Muff Pi Russian Pedal. I plan on running a gui*ar through this setup. I just thought that maybe the 10 inch speakers of the hartke would be good for guitar??? Any help or info would be appreciated! :) :) :)

-mstrbasser

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Guitar head and a bass cab will work fine.

Bass head and a guitar cab is a plan for disaster.

3. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    Allright, thanks for that part. But, what about the sound clarity. Will it sound good when distorted? :confused: Right now, I am using a Bass Head in Bass Cabinet with a guit*r. I noticed that when I play, no matter how load I go, sound is ONLY coming out of the tweeter. It is as if the cabinet is being wasted. :crying: None of the 4 speakers seem to be giving any sound. To me, it feels like a 15 watt amp if you guys know what I mean....anyways, I would appreciate anymore responces. :) :) :)

-mstrbasser

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That's odd. I have heard of a lot of people modding old Fender Bassman amps for use with guitar though, and they say it's the jesus of guitar amps.

Should be in amps forum, btw.

5. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum. Stupid me. Should have put in amps forum. Could one of the moderators please move this topic to the amps forum.

-thanks alot

6. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    I was stupid and created this same thread in the Basses Forum. Anyways, here it is for all you amp gurus out there. Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to put a guitar head into a bass cabinet. I have a Hartke VX410 bass cab (dont laugh), and was wondering if a Crate G600 XL (dont laugh again) would work in conjunction. Will it sound bad and screw things up? Also, I plan on using it in conjunction with a Big Muff Pi Russian Pedal. I plan on running a gui*ar through this setup. I just thought that maybe the 10 inch speakers of the hartke would be good for guitar???

Also, if it does indeed work, what about the sound clarity. Will it sound good when distorted? Right now, I am using a Bass Head in Bass Cabinet with a guitar. I noticed that when I play, no matter how loud I go, sound is ONLY coming out of the tweeter. It is as if the cabinet is being wasted. None of the 4 speakers seem to be giving any sound. To me, it feels like a 15 watt amp if you guys know what I mean....anyways, I would appreciate any responces.

-mstrbasser

7. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    How so?

A friend of mine uses his ampeg basshead and a marshall 4x12 and it sounds great...

8. I bought one of those Crate amps. I needed a head enclosure, and the amp was cheaper than buying a new enclosure. I pulled the amp out and sold it for $20. The kid I sold it to plugged it into a Carvin 10 inch speaker he had put in a subwoofer tube. Sounds great! I dont know how it will be up at full volume with 4 speakers, but with just the 1 it was actually a killer guitar amp when he put his yellow Boss pedal in front of it, and his dad's Jazz bass sounded awesome on the amp's clean channel.

9. Guitar speakers aren't made to handle high power, low frequency bass. Trust me, I've fried guitar speakers a couple of times, playing bass through them.

The Bassman amp, though called a "bass amp", was poorly designed for bass. But its design shortcomings made it great for distorted guitar.

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    using a bass amp as a guitar head for playing guitare thru a 412n guitar cab is often used: just look at omar of the mars volta!

11. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    Thanks for all the replys, but most are giving responces that you can use a bass head thru a bass cab. Is it possible to play GUITAR through a GUITAR head going into a BASS cabinet. :confused: If it possible, will it sound good and will the distortion be good sounding. Also, when using a guitar thru a BASS head into a BASS cabinet, only the tweeter works on the cabinet... :( :( :(

-thanks
    mstrbasser

12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Technically it will "work" ,but sonically it might not be what you are looking for in terms of a classic guitar sound. Bass speakers aren't designed like guitar speakers are. However, if you are looking for something different, have fun and experiment. A band called Kyuss uses 15" bass speakers and Marshall guitar heads for the guitars in the band...sounds very thick and heavy. Then there is No Means No from Canada, who's bass player uses a Marshall guitar tube half stack forhis fender P-bass. It's sounds distorted and crazy, but it fits the bands sound. So, what you get out of your experimenting might not be the tried and true sounds that everybody is looking for, but it might still be cool! As far as the 10's not putting out any sound and only the tweeters working...that sounds like a loose wire or a bum speaker cable or some other problem.

13. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    For some reasons, the 10's only work with the bass guitar in there. In fact, they work perfectly with bass plugged in. I am pretty sure its not a loose cable and all my connection seem to be good and wired the correct way. thanks anyways man. :)

-mstrbasser

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    wow...that's crazy that they don't work when a guitar is plugged in. Are you sure the guitar is working properly? Maybe, the pickups are messed up and only letting very high freq.'s thru....weird. maybe try different guitars and amps and cables...troubleshoot it

15. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    I am using a Agile (Rondomusic) Les Paul ripoff. It seems to very a good guitar for the price, and I have replaced the pups with some Tony Iommis :) . Also, All the connections seem to be good as mentioned before. I really am confused. :confused: Could it be a problem with my head. :confused: I set for the EQ most of the treble up and bass down to get some definition with the sound. Because it sounded like mud with the EQ set to flat. :mad: Any more help would be appreciated. :)

-mstrbasser

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, that answered why the sound seems to be coming only out of the tweeter now didn't it? ;)

some bass guitar cabs sound great with guitar, some don't. Most people don't like to use tweeters with guitar as it gets too harsh. a lot of the tone of the EG is due to the "coloration" of different types of EG speakers, which don't have the treble extension of a tweeter, and which don't have the bass response of a BG woofer.

a lot of bass cabs with tens and a tweeter have a bit of a dip in the high mids, mostly because the tens are optimized for lows and low mids, and the tweeter is doing the highs. unfortunately, a lot of the "presence" of the EG is right in that high mid area, so using the EG with some bass cabs sounds "muddy".

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, yeah. Kyuss and some stoner bands use bass cabs in their guitar rigs. It should sound okay. It's going to sound "different" because pretty much all guitar cabs are 12s, and 10s sound pretty different. It'd probably sound okay, I've never tried it.

If the sound is only coming out of the tweeter, turn the tweeter all the way off (should have an attenuator on the back panel of the cab), and see if that helps.

18. MstrBasser

MstrBasser Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    bump