1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guitar head into bass cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lerxst_2112, May 2, 2006.

1. lerxst_2112

lerxst_2112

Oct 23, 2004
    hi, i found in my dad`s house a peavey guitar head, MACE; 160 w, all tube, 6 6L6 tube. i wonder if i can use that guitar head with a bass cab.

in the rear of the peavey has 2 speaker out, main; 8 ohms, aux; 4 ohms,

i wonder if it can be use with the 4 ohms of the most bass cabs?????

what do you think???

how can i use this guitar head for my bass ????

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. It'll work and it's more common than you think.

You have two outputs, an 8 ohm main out, and 4 ohm aux out?

3. lerxst_2112

lerxst_2112

Oct 23, 2004
    yes, it has, 2 speaker outs, i dont know if i have to plug a 8 ohms cab to use the aux 4 ohms out, or use only the 4 ohms out for the bass cab....????

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can get a .pdf of the owner's manual online at www.Peavey.com. In the upper right hand corner of the page click on manual and enter Mace in the field and search.

If both versions are the same, I believe that you'd need to insert a phone plug into the 8 ohm jack and then connect a 4 ohm cabinet to the 4 ohm jack. The 8 ohm jack looks to be a shorting jack to prevent the output transformer from being damaged if the amp is turned on without a load connected.

I'd recommend that you contact Peavey directly to make sure that this is really what you should do.

5. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Guitar amp to bass cab? Yes.
    Bass amp to guitar cab? No!

6. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Heck yes, and with 160 tube watts you can move some good air. Probably won't be the cleanest thing ever. How many pre amp tubes are in this amp? I'm unfamiliar with it.

7. lerxst_2112

lerxst_2112

Oct 23, 2004
    3 6L6 tube i think!!!

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Probably 3 12AX7's. 6L6 tubes are power tubes and much bigger than preamp tubes, which are typically about the size of your thumb.

9. lerxst_2112

lerxst_2112

Oct 23, 2004
    nop. the mace use 6 6L6 tubes.. i think 3 for the pre, and 3 more for the power amp,

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    IIRC, the Mace has a solid state preamp and a tube power amp. The schematic at the end of one of the manuals at www.Peavey.com confirms it.

Except in very low power applications, power tubes (6L6s, 6V6s, 6550s, EL34s, EL84s) are used in pairs in a push-pul configuration.

11. kpaxonbass

kpaxonbass Banned

May 2, 2006
    Guitar head into bass cabinet - YES
    Bass head into guitar cabinet - YES
    Genetically altered gender morphing effects pedals - YES
    If it sounds good, you've got your answer.
    There are no rules.

12. Surely, a bass guitar running through a bass head into a guitar cab will damage the speakers.

13. well, I guess your going to be spending quite a lot of money as a bass player hooking up all those fancy guitar cabs.

You fail to mention however, that while the connections may be good, the instrumental use that the rig is provided for determines everything. Bass head into guitar cabinet: YES if you are a guitar player looking for a stronger preamp or a bigger bottum, NO, if you intend on getting nice clean sounds playing an electric bass through it. guitar head into bass cabinet, YES on both ends; guitarists get a desired bottum to their sound, bass players get a nice clicky sound, end of story.
    effects.....it doesn't really matter now does it>? i mean unless your using an octaver and getting some tone that really shouldn't be there, your fine