1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Head powering a bass cab???? advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Apr 23, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey guys.... Ill make this quick and to the point because im sure it has been asked before... I left my ampeg 4x10 at a friends house and gave his bass player permission to use it.... He didnt tell me though that he didnt have a bass head so he used a solid state Marshall guitar head.... :rollno: Is this bad??? I was pretty upset when i heard, but im afraid i might be over reacting.... Let me know what you guys think....

2. If anything, I would be concerned about the head in case your cab is a lower impedance than is required.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    No, its not bad... well maybe it was bad sounding, but under normal circumstances there is no need for concern.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I have played lots of tube guitar heads through my bass cabs and never had a problem.

However any solid state amp could damage any speaker, if the amps power section is pushed beyond its limits for very long.
    Have him make sure the cab/amp ohms line up, and take it easy on the volume, Your cab should be fine.

5. Odds are extremely minimal that any speaker damage could occur but best to have the high frequencies turned down if the cab does not have a crossover and HF driver. Otherwise the highs just create heat without doing anything useful because the speakers cannot respond to the highs.

Peace,
    S

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Theres no impedence to line up. If its an 8 ohm cab, a solid state amp will be running at 8 ohms (technically impedence does vary, but in general). If the amp is run below its rated impedence (which did not happen in this case) it would risk damaging the amp, not the cab. I've never seen a Marshall head less than 100 watts & if the the power section of the amp was being pushed beyond its limits, it would have sounded bad enough that anyone with half a brain would have stopped playing. I use a solid state guitar amp with my ampeg cabs regularly and sometimes with my 410HE alone. so i will repeat - under normal circumstances there is no need for concern. oh and for the record, his 410 cab has a horn :bassist:

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Plain Old Me made his point very well, I was just backing it up .
    My only reason for saying to line up the ohms, was for the amps sake. But thanks for the corection anyway.
    He did not state the impedence of either amp or cab, and I was not aware that there was absolutley no chance of his cab being 4ohm, then I mistakenly thought It couldnt hurt to tell him to check for himself.
    I stand corrected.....:cool:
    One more thing: there are bass players with less than half a brain and marshalls with less than 100 watts.....:meh:

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I wasnt correcting you, I simply assumed the cab was a 410HE 'cause all his gear is listed in his sig & i just dont want the guy to worry about something that most likely is not a problem. maybe it is a different cab than what he has listed. I also said "I've never seen" a Marshall SS less than 100 watts, but if you say there are, then cool. And my best advice is to avoid potential problems is never your gear to someone with 1/2 a brain! :eek:

9. I have seen a Marshall tube head with 50 watts, and a few of the combo SS ones are less than 100, but I have never seen a Marshall SS head with less than 100 watts either.

10. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    I think the only bad thing about your cabs mating wit a 100 ss marshall head would have been the light on sound " he " would have got out of it , I assume he was only using a standard 4 string as a 5 or even a drop tuner would have been below the amps favoured Hz.

11. one of my favorite bass sounds is the one Blacky from Voivod used to get. (and although Newsted tries to get the same sound, he fails miserably) Blacky used to use a marshall guitar head CRANKED! so hot, he used to melt the insides of the amps. but he ran that 100 watt head into 15's. and it absolutely KILLED! in my opinion, the very best distorted tone ever.

i dug it so much, that i bought a vintage 50 watt all tube guitar head, and run that into a 4x10. it doesn't have huge volume, but it has all the tone. and when used in conjuction with a real bass rig, is just unmatched for killer rock sounds.

i don't know about solid state guitar heads though. i've always hated those things. lame tone, and lame output. but i'm sure your cab is fine. unless that guy was just a moron.

12. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks a lot for all of your thoughts guys... Im just gonna play it safe and not let him use it again... Again, i really appreciate the help!!! :bassist:

13. I have been playing bass for a while, connecting a Marshall MG 100 HDFX with a 1 X 15" cabinet, and with the pre-amp not to high, it sounded quiet alright. Never had any problems

14. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    The one thing I would say is that in general there is a danger to the speakers with running an underpowered head. If the amp is driven into clipping, which people tend to do if they aren't getting enough volume, that can damage speakers, even if the amp is putting out less power than the speakers/cab is rated to.