1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar hero stickers on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neel, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Neel

Neel

Jan 1, 2007
    I just got Guitar hero 2, and it comes with a pack of stickers to decorate your gibson xplorer shaped controller. I typically don't like the idea of putting stickers on my instruments (I play drums, guitar, and for the past year have played bass), but I have a squire affinity-p bass (I know, its a shame), and I was considering applying some of the guitar hero stickers to the pick guard. They have skull stickers, wings, stars, and various rock and roll things (and a few related to the video game developers and the equipment sponsors in the game, such as epiphone and gibson).

Have any of you guys seen this or done this? I figure that since its just a squire, and not much to look at on its own (black with a white pickguard), it might add some rock to it.

p.s. I generally think that stickers can make instruments look kind of tacky, but as it is, my squire p-bass looks more like a video game controller than a bass guitar.

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    do whatever you want to. if you put them on, and you like it, leave them on. if you put them on and don't like them, peel them off and use some naptha to clean it. if you don't put them on at all, that's fine too. personally, i think it all depends on the bass. while i would never dream of putting any more than maybe 1 small sticker on a stingray or warwick, i do have a p-bass copy that, given the fact that the body looks atrocious (mainly because i tried to mod it; it's basically a particleboard body), i did put stickers on- a lot. nearly covered the whole thing. sometimes i regret it, sometimes i don't. i just wish i hadn't used stickers that are so hard to find, so i could take them off to mod it and put new ones that look the same on.

/rant

3. I'm not usually the A-hole type, but i find it a tad annoying that you said that about the icon of a decade :)

(ok, so it doens't have FENDER PRECISION BASS on the headstock, but it is the shape!)

4. Neel

Neel

Jan 1, 2007

I know, I know. I was exaggerating quite a bit, but it is a rather bland looking finish (plastic-ish black with a plain white plastic fretboard).

Its like the guitar hero controller in the sense that the controller is shaped like a gibson x-plorer, but it certainly doesn't have the flare of a real one.

I love it anyways though (the bass AND the controller).

5. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Hell, what's the first thing Flea did when he was given a $35,000 rare Fender Jazz bass? Slap a sticker on it. Not trying to sound like a gear snob, but don't worry about putting a sticker on a Squirer. Now if you leave it on for awhile, it's going to be more difficult to remove and will make a spot of a different shade should you remove it after a couple years.

6. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    I'll never put a sticker on my bass. Change the pickguard or get a new finish to get a cosmetically-enhanced bass.

@cybersnyder : That caused quite a controversy , heh :D.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I did back in the day, mid/late 90's when it was trendy.

Not anymore. :) I'd just about kill myself if one of my Q's ever ended up with a sticker on it! That's what your rack is for! ;)

8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I'd be more worried about the stickers...I know the ones that came with my Guitar hero II looked kind of Cheesy..

9. Cajunmetalist

Cajunmetalist

Aug 26, 2006
    Eunice, La
    Slap a sticker on mate.....Nothing wrong with stickers on a low end play around bass......now I understand the fools who spend $1000+ on a bass but if its a low end dean or Ibanez or even a ugly squire go for it.......

I have a couple of stickers on my Ibanez and its my baby....but its stickers of passed concerts I went to.... TOOL....etc...

10. Laissez les bontemps roullez.:bassist:

11. midopa

midopa

Nov 26, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    What I did was put stickers underneath a clear pickguard. That way they're easily removed. Plus, you can put other cutouts and prints underneath the pickguard. I've got a large print of my fingerprint on my Bongo right now. :D

12. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Wow two posts in a row from fellow Louisiana bassists, cool!!!!

It's a Squire, go ahead!!! I would only hesitate on a more valuable bass that you are worried about reducing its resale value (not counting FLEA).

13. 1973ric4001

1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    I stickered the crap out of my first bass as you can see below : a squire II (thats right a II, i think they only made them for a year because they sucked so bad), then i proceded to rip the frets out. i think that you should do whatever you want, because after all it is a low end bass. then again i wouldnt dream stickering up my rickenbacker or my spector.
    Picture2.jpg

14. 1973ric4001

1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    oh yeah, i also made white out designs on the fretboard.

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    MY EYES! GAH!

16. JoshD

JoshD

Nov 9, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    go ahead, as long as it's done to your liking.

17. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I have stickers all over the back of my SX.

If it was an expensive bass, I probably wouldn't, but since it isn't, I may as well make it mine.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Some of us like stickers. Some of us like hot rod flames. Some of us like spalted maple. It's all bling bling. ;)

You know what I'd pay for? Colored stickers to put between my frets to make my bass look like a Guitar Hero controller!

I dig Guitar Hero II. I have a 360, so I get the Xplorer controller. :hyper:

19. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Couldn't agree more. :meh:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021