1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar hero video game

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Imyrhuckleberry, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Imyrhuckleberry

Imyrhuckleberry

Nov 17, 2010
    I am watching tv and a commercial came on for guitar hero or band master, or whatever the new game is called that has "real" instrument modes. Im not sure if they sell a "real" bass to play the game with but I was wondering how other bassists felt about this. Will it become a great practice tool? Will it spawn millions of video game virtuosos that will flood the bass player market and make it even harder to land well paying gigs? Or will it give kids with some natural talent and heart for the music an outlet that keeps them from real musical pursuits?

2. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I kind of rolled my eyes when Guitar Hero first came out, but then realized how many kids were getting into classic rock because of it. So I'm all for it, especially when the kids want to take the next step and pick up a real instrument. :bassist:
    (But then there are those meatheads who don't realize there's a difference b/w playing a GH guitar and the real thing. :rolleyes: )

3. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    I hate guitar hero because
    1)most kids will only learn the songs on the game
    2)most kids think Slash is the best guitarist because he's is Guitar Hero so he must be good
    3)if I say to someone The Rolling stones,they would probably say Paint it black,and if I ask if they know any other songs by them,chances are that I would get a flat out no.

4. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    game informer did a poll recently. less than 20% of the people polled said they had any interest in the ''real'' guitar controllers. chances are, they aren't going to sell very well, so not too many people would transistion from those to real instruments.

5. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    I doubt the bass player market will be flooded. There will likely be a bunch of guitar playing idiots who think they are actually good, but really can only play a few songs from the game. I think those who are willing to play bass when playing Guitar Hero or RockBand or whatever game are already bass players anyway. Our little cozy corner of the music market is safe IMO, my friend.

6. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    and i have yet to see someone play at a gig with their gui**** Hero controller and set-top box.
    I could just imagine auditioning for a new gui****ist and they pull one of those out.

7. most of the "meatheads" are guitar players that think guitar hero sucks because it's not a real guitar.

8. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Laughed so hard I almost soiled myself! No matter what becomes of guitar hero and the rest, playing a real instrument will always take hard work and dedication--you get out what you put in.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think the OP is referring to the next gen of music games. You get to use the entire fretboard (vice only the first five) and six electronic strings in the form of 150 buttons under both your fretting and picking hands. One of the games can be used with a real guitar even.
    I have to admit that there is a high level of dexterity required to accurately hit the right notes on a board with 150 buttons and a skill like that has to be respected. A piano only has a paltry 88 keys. A 21 fret bass is only slightly less intimidating with its 126 notes and many of us only use a fraction of that.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I prefer to play bass on rockband/guitar hero games. Although id rather go grab the bass and play a song for real. But honestly I dont think we are threatened since most of the kids these days think its cooler to play with a plastic guitar instead of the real thing... Now the real cool guitar thing is the paper jams guitar where you can plug it into a real guitar amp. i saw one at i think it was the dri show a few months back it ended up breaking and he wasnt even really rough with it but still a cool idea.

11. I work in games, so this has been big news ever since the last E3. Yeah, Rock Band 3 has not only the holycrapbuttons controller for their Pro Mode (which allows you to play the actual guitar parts, almost like tablature), but next year, they're releasing a Fender Squier for about $280 that does the same thing. It's basically a hyper-accurate MIDI controller as well as a real guitar, and you can use it to play the game on a 1:1 scale.

Very cool stuff IMO. I've loved games like GH and Rock Band for a long time.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/02/fender-rock-band-3-squier-stratocaster-guitar-rocks-out-march/