Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar instead of bass ? (For me / my situation)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Heres the deal. I've been playing bass for about a year, and I've really started to figure out the kind of things I enjoy playing. Most of these things are classical pieces, some even classical guitar pieces redone for bass. Its great fun, and the bass is a terrific instrument, but I'm considering statign to play guitar.. instead of bass, or along side; I'm not sure at this point. I'm not interested in strumming with a guitar; classical fingerstyle guitar is what I'm digging. Would there be an enormous jump between bass and fingerstyle guitar? I have an acoustic here that I play occasionally (missing a string), and it doesnt seem like it would be a tremendous gap, for me atleast.

Any input / advice?

2. There's only one way to know for sure, and that's to try it yourself. :)

Sorry I couldn't give a better answer, but 'tis a true answer.

3. why choose ? :confused:

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It's all good.

While I consider myself primarily a bassist, since that is what I
    play out, I still own a nylon classical guitar, a electric semi-
    hollowbody and a 12 string acoustic. Each one speaks to me
    and fulfills a musical need for me.

Additionally, the harmony work, and the fingering work you
    will develop will be quite helpful and easily transferable to the
    bass.

Go for it and have a blast.

5. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Bought some strings for my acoustic, and tried some songs out. Its kind of fun (The flamenco more so for me then any other style), but I just cant "feel" the light strings. Not digging that aspect of guitar at all..

Are there 6 string basses which are EADGBE, or, could I tune a 6 string bass to EADGBE ? Not for strumming, but for the groovy fingerstyle guitar licks (And could even strum, I suppose, if needed). My current goal is to learn the insane, minute long guitar solo in the first level song for Doom 2; "Entryway" :

(starts around 2 :10)

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=207LAUU1O8MCP0S7ICN1O793H

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah I see no harm in playing guitar in addition to bass. I play guitar and keyboards in addition to bass, and like Thor said in his case, they fulfill my other musical needs. I'm a bassist first and foremost, but I love playing guitar (and I do most of my songwriting on guitar) and I also love programming and playing synthesizers. If I had room for a drum kit, I'd have that as well.

7. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Turns out the guitar I have (Yamaha FG-200) is a short scale version, which could account for the excessive cramped-ness Im feeling when I try to play it. Its fairly fun; but I find it much easier to just jump right into a line with bass.

Would it be alright to tune a bass to EADGBE ??

8. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

Of course. If that's what you feel, then do it. It's about giving yourself a medium to express yourself musically. Tune it the way that makes sense for you. Your only issue is gonna be other bass players maybe not thinking you're as cool, cause you tune like a guitarist.

Do what moves you.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, you can tune a 6 string bass to EADGBE, you'll just need lighter strings to compensate. Probably get a 5 string set with a high C and find yourself an even lighter high E string. I think around a .018 should work from a piccolo set.

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    You dont have to stop playing bass if you're picking up guitar. I started playing drums and guitar after I played bass and now I play all 3 very well. Then again I had a lot of time on my hands cause I was in high school and had no friends and didnt do my schoolwork. I dont recommend that last part