Guitar like distortion...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    ...what would you recommend?

I wanna use it both for cliff burton kind of soloing and some angrier metal stuff.

It would be a + if it could handle the lower register too.

I know there's a mega thread but i dont feel to read 10pages and i guess it's most overdrive pedals.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Why dont you get a guitar amp, and then split the high and the low signal between them. That would be gnarly.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's what I'm in the process of doing.

From my research (and highly scientific method of just hanging the boys out and seeing what happens), it seems a 50-100 tube amp, a 4x12 cab, and then either rolling off the lows on the head, or a crossover, and you're set to kill someone.

Besides, Lemmy does it, and we all know that Lemmy IS God.
  4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I was thinking about getting an octaver and raising the signal up an octave and adding a 5th, then running that signal to a good amp or running into a modded Boss Metal Pedal. Problem is, there's just too much bas gear calling my name to be messing with a g**tar rig.

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Naw. It's no different messing with guitar gear as means of distortion than regular bass pedals. It's just a different approach. Instead of say, Wooly Mammoth vs. Fulltone BassDrive, it's Marshall vs. Mesa.

You still have to deal with an inordinate amount of parts just to get what guitarists demand as a defacto standard.
  6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No really...

I want my Bag End 21"....

Not a fan of digital effects, but I understand an Akai UB-1 will do this on it's own- all you need is the amp.

7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i just tried plugging in my SansAmp GT2 for bass. it can be pretty aggressive, but it doesnt add to the low end like my MultiDrive or the Ibanez PhatHead. you might check into the PhatHead, very impressive considering that they are on sale at MF for $50 right now.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Marshall Guv'nor II. Seriously, this little box owns.

10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I can speak for the Big Brother of this pedal, and it "owned" as far as a niiice overdrive to a solid distortion. I dunno how the IIs are, but if you can find an original, GET IT. :smug:

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    How does the fulltone bass driver sound?

just and OD, or can it get a heavey distorted tone?