Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar more difficult than bass! HA!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassicRob, Apr 4, 2001.

1. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    So I was talking to this girl the other night and I guess I mentioned something about my band and she asked me what I played. When i told her bass, her response was "oh wow, thats hardr than playing guitar" or something to that effect.

What made me think this as odd is
    #1:It's opposite to the popular opinion
    #2: She doesnt have much musical background
    #3: She wasnt trying to hit on me...or was she?

Nah, she wasn't hitting on me. But was strange. I was taken off guard a bit, not a usual response.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    She was definately hitting on you. This is THE line chicks say (even though they dont believe it) when they want to do a musician. If you played flute she'd have said "Oh thats harder than the clarinet." Shame on you for missing this opportunity (a drummer wouldnt have missed out).

3. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    ::kicks myslef repeatedly::
    Well i did mention my girlfriend and I am pretty sure she said something about her having a boyfriend but hey this is college!! lol

how dare u rate me as a drummer? what do they know about playing music!! :)

4. i have to agree, she was deffinetly hitting on you

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    this girl once told me that the bass is boring and easy, and i shanked her at motel 6 that night

6. Hmmm, does that mean that she was boring and easy instead?

7. reedo35=1
    JWC=0
    haha, you burned him good

8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    no, you are boring, she was easy

9. Aw, come on, I expected a better comeback than that! Or, in a battle of wits, have I unintentionally shot an unarmed man?

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    QUIT while you can, JWC. :):)

BassicRob, she was hitting on you!

Pkr2

11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    uh....your mama is so fat she had to get baptized at sea world. there :)

12. Ah, much better...Touche' :)

13. you wanna touch his tooshie? :D lol

14. Oh, stop, yer killin' me! :rolleyes:

15. argh! damn sarcasm! I guess today's just not my day! :(

16. starchild2

starchild2 Guest

yo bassicrob i know you ain't sweating not hitting it because you got a girl right but at the same U gotta keep your game tight bro your'e repensented us who like to go low.lol

17. Well I have been pondering this on and off all day.
    Not JWC and easy woman but Bass vs. Guitar.

I think it’s an apple vs. oranges thing.
    2 different jobs 2 different requirements.

Neither is easier or harder, just different.
    Finding the perfect groove for a song can be a challenge for a bass player, writing a song on bass can be harder.
    If a band is grooving and the guitar player stops you might not notice, if the bass player stops you will. we have the power to make or break a song.

guitar has its hard parts too, trying to play faster than everyone else I am sure is a challenge. coming up with chord changes that don't sound like the other billion guitar players is probably a challenge.
    I am sure there are more but I don't like playing guitar, I am a bass player.

I think it comes down to the 6 strings vs. 4 strings.
    but yet the violin isn't considered easier, I can't figure it.

ignorance vs. knowledge

18. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i think people think bass is easier because it looks so much like a guitar, but has less strings, so people assume you play it exactly LIKE a guitar, only minus 2 strings. i guess it's a weird logic in most people's heads. most NON-musicians, anyhow.

we know better :)

19. I play a bass (naturally) but whenever im at my friends house i play his electric guitar and i find it MUCH harder to play than my bass. I mean, i always hook like 3 strings when i wanna play one.