Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GUITAR (not bass)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by METALHEAD, May 5, 2005.

1. my sister wants a guitar (not bass) and i dont know where to go or who to ask. so i thought heres a good place to start.

she needs a wide neck guitar cos her hands are to big for a guitar but to small for a bass. are there any guitars out there with wide necks.

anything to help please, links, pics, names anything. thanks all.

2. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Price range?
    Acoustic or Electric?
    Classical?

3. A friend has the same problem (the hands, not the sister).

He uses a twelve-string with the alternate strings taken out.

4. Price £100-£500
    electric
    got any ideas.

i like the 12 string idea. how much can i get 1 for

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    MIM strat or Tele all the way!!

6. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I know people with huge hands and big fat fingers who play mandolin. And tiny people with tiny hands who play double bass far better than I'll ever be able to. I'd say big hands (well, long fingers, anyway) are more useful for mandolin than they are for double bass - and yes, I've played both. Also, there is plenty of advice on this board about basses for small hands - short scales, narrow necks, 5-strings...

With that out of the way, if your sister really does want to play guitar and does want an electric with a big neck, those are pretty rare outside of expensive custom jobs or vintage instruments. Even the electric 12-strings I've played didn't really have big necks. However, Warmoth, USACG etc. do make HUGE custom necks. The best thing to do may be to find a guitar she likes with a standard Strat-style or Tele-style neck pocket and get a replacement neck. The neck itself will cost around $150-250, depending on maker and woods.

7. when i say big i mean stumpy fingers. she is simmiler to me that way when i fret one string i normarly catch one next to it.

she has a bass but dosent have the reach she wants. plus i play the bass mainly and she wants the guitar.

so stat or tele is the way to go.

8. I agree.

I have a Yamaha Pacifica 402S (discontinued) which is essentially a Yamaha Telecaster. It retailed for $579, U.S. dollars and sold on average for about $350 - $400. I snapped it up at Musiciansfriend when they were clearing then out about 3 years ago for $249 !!! :hyper: A very good buy.

Now, I know MF doesn't ship to the UK, but why not go there just to look and see what the going price is for different models, and then go shopping in your neck of the woods a little better armed about current prices. :)

Also look at some hollow-body electrics by Epiphone and Ibanez; they may have wider than normal neck widths.

Good luck, Metalhead.

Mike ;)

9. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Go to GC and have her play a bunch and pick one

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    MIM strat.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    PRS SE Soapbars have what is called a "wide-fat neck carve". They are worth checking out. They go for around $500.00 US. Good luck.