Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Overdrive Help Me Out Here Guys !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jayb118, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Jayb118

Jayb118

Dec 6, 2005
    Isle of Wight
    Ok this may seem like a kind of noobie question but i want to buy Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal for my bass so i dont have to buy seperate bass and distortion pedals. However The OS-2 is a guitar pedal but i have been told that distortion and overdrive effects dont change much between bass and guitar. If i bought this to use with my bass would it be very low quality sound and a waste of money or would it work out ok ?:confused:

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It won't damage your pedal but it may sound bad.

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Well *some* overdrive/fuzz/distortion-guitar pedals works with bass. It will of course work, but you will hear that all of your low end will be gone when using a pedal made for guitar.

I'm currently experimenting with splitting up my signal so I will have a clean signal thats always on and then have other signals for my two overdrive pedals.

I'm not exactly sure if it will work (can anyone here maybe tell me if it does? :ninja: ), but i'm planning to try out the following:

• Get a A/B/C looper where A is always on (clean) and use B and C for the two overdrive pedals.
    • These 3 outputs will go to a DOD 240 Resistance Mixer (the one with 4 inputs w. volume knobs and 1 output)

I am fully aware that the Boss LS-2 will do the exact same, but I cannot have my compressor before the overdrive pedals then :crying:

Anyway, was close to highjack your thread there mate, sorry about that. :meh:

Hope you got an answer at least!

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, I haven't used a bass through an OS-2, but I would imagine you'll lose a lot of lowend. If you have an effects loop with a blend control this won't be too big a deal. The only way to tell if you dig the tone is by playing through one though, that's entirely up to you.

Also, remember that having more than one distortion pedal is perfectly okay. ;)

5. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Alrite, tried to make a geeked signal flow of what I was babbling about in my above post:

[​IMG]

I don't know a thing about this DOD passive mini mixer, so.. will this work You think?

Also - hope you can see what I meant by splitting the signal if/when using pedals made for guitar, Jayb118 :)

P.s.: Hope you're cool Petary ;)

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Looks awesome! Feel free to chop my crap up as much as you want.

7. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Here's an idea, why not get a bass overdrive pedal and use it with the guitar. rather than trying to use a guitar overdrive on your bass. The extra lowend head room shouldn't hurt your guitars sound.

Juat a thought.

~Paul :)

8. I have to overdrive pedals made for guitar and they both work pretty well with bass...though as said above the lower notes can get real muddy....but i dont find it to bad as a cheaper alternative.
    I need the cheap alternative as I am at university with not a lot of money....and i dont gig yet so its not that big a deal.
    Mike