Guitar pedals that work with bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PatrickEdmonds, Jan 8, 2006.

1. PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    I know lots of you guys use guitar whammys for bass(I know there was a bass whammy, but they don't make it anymore). I've seen that people use delays (dd-3 dd-6). I heard that guitar pedals suck the tone and "special" bass frequencies out of your sound.

Who uses guitar pedals like whammys and delays?
    Do these sound just as good on bass as guitar.
    I've been looking for specail bass delay, but cant find one.
    Do the Boss pedals with bass imputs (octave and dynamic wah) work well?

Thanks to anyone who can give some info.
  2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IMHO, most modulation effects work equally well on bass and guitar (and mics for vocals and drums for that matter). Although I would imagine that bass wahs would leave the lows alone when they process the sound.

Of course, echo and delay will work because all they do is shift time.

Drive pedals are a different matter. Some of them are not full range.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Modulation effects are just about the same as bass and guitar, and delay effects simply reproduce the sound regardless of pitch, so they're fine.

Overdrive and distortion type pedals may or may not give you the tone you like, but personally, most of my gear is a "guitar pedal". All I can say is try EVERYTHING, I like some of the guitar versions of pedals better than their bass counterparts sometimes.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I use the Digitech Whammy on bass and it sounds fine on bass except for if you try to do something ridiculous like play an octave down on the low E or something.

The only pedal I have that's "bass only" is my 105Q Crybaby.
  5. Pretty much any pedal will work with bass, it's wether or not they will work well is the thing.

I use a Pro Co Rat distortion and a USA Big Muff PI. The Rat was I know designed for guitar but I use it and the distortion is amazing. The only bad thing about it is that it robs some of my low end, but I've been thinking of getting a Keeley modded one or just puttin some sort of EQ or pre amp (IE Sans Amp) after it in a loop.

The Muff is one of the few fuzz/distortion pedals which I think sounds better on bass than with guitar.
  6. I have a guvnor, small clone, bug muff, octave multiplexer, dod fx25b, weeping demon, v-wah. soon i will be purchasing a phase90 and an mxr flanger. Everyone of these pedals are guitar pedals.

although i dont use the dod, octave or v-wah and will be selling them
  7. the DOD fx25B isnt.

What's the weeping demon like? dioes it rob low end or have any unexpected effect on the bass sound?

Guitar Fx I use:
    Boss DD3
    Ibanez PH7
    EH Big Muff (Rusky)

Bass FX:
    EBS MultiComp
    EBS OctaBass
    Boss CE-2B

unhappy with:
    Big Muff (loses bottom end)
    Boss DD3 (some settings are useless on bass or the unit is screwed, lol. its old and beat up.)
  8. actually the fx25b is for guitar OR bass.....

Ive never had any low end loss with big muff....

Havent picked up the demon yet.. but it has a switch which makes it into a bass wah... plus it has so many tone shaping abilities and a "lo" control, that i think it should have no problem with low end loss...

Bass_Drum has just ordered one, and we will be doing a combined thread review on them