1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar pedals w/a bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kingmacaw, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will using a guitar pedal w/an active pickup bass thru my g-k bi-amp 1001 rb115 combo bass amp damage anything? i have a dod flanger & would like to use it.

2. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    It should work with bass, how well is another story. I hear DOD pedals respond pretty well to bass, so I say give it a shot. A bass signal can't really do anything to a pedal. The worst that can happen is that the pedal won't sound the way you want it to.

3. ty wespe for your response-mostly i'm interested in whether using this pedal will damage my amp or bi-amped speakers?

4. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Using gee-tar effects won't damage any of your gear. I've been using a gee-tar Behringer V-amp for years in my bass rig.

5. then why do they make bass effects pedals? obviously, my bass will hit a lower frequency note than a guitar will. plus, if i'm bi-amping my bass & am playing mids and highs some frequencies hit by guitarists can be produced by my bass. therefore, is there any reason to be concerned that i might damage my woofer or tweeter or amp circuitry?

6. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    You'd be surprised to find out how many bassists use guitar effects.

7. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Read what you just wrote. Think about it for a while (I'm serious, by the way). The answer is there.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    At worst you'll get some tone sucked out or total loss of low end with a guitar effect. At best, you won't notice the difference.

Almost all modulations and delays are okey for bass as they don't really care about the input -- modulations just sweep everything around and delays will reproduce pretty much anything.

The worst loss of low end is on distortion and fuzz -- 'crunch' and whatever other terms one uses to describe distortion tend to be a factor of high-mids and fuzz just fuzzes out everything (can usually be solved by a volume boost).

This is one of the main reasons why the most common effects specifically for bass are distortions. These days when Boss has a second input for bass, it's just EQed differently, there's no real difference in the circuit. Also, almost every high-end and boutique manufacturer makes pedals with any input in mind, be it guitar, bass, keys, laptop, turn tables, etc.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Please read the FAQ, this question is answered there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.