Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar pegs on bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr M, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Is it possible to use guitar machine heads on bass? I know that the holes on the guitar machine heads are not big enough to insert thick bass strings. And I doubt they are not strong enough for the tension.

Well, let me tell why I'm asking it. I'm planning to build a bass with a 6 in-a-line peghead structure (maybe it's not a clever decision but anyway..) and all the bass machine heads are very big for such construction making the peghead design as big as a coffee table. So maybe small tuning heads can help me with my idea. Is there any very small machine heads that you know, or guitar tuners that can be used with bass strings? The tuners used on Warr guitars and Sticks, what are they, where can I find'em?

Thanks

2. Hi!

look at danelectro basses, they use very small machine heads very similar to guitar.

those might be the kind of tuners you're after

www.danelectro.com

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    They would probably hold the tension. Even if you adapted them to hold the larger strings.

The problem you won't be able to get around is the length. For B, E and even A strings, guitar posts would be so short, you would only get one, maybe two, wraps of the string around the post.

You would get a ton of slip and break a bunch of strings like that.

Chas

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I once saw this on a German highend six-string, which got good reviews back then (early 90s).
    But it didn't catch on obviously.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive seen some Carvins with very small tunning keys on them. Try looking around their site and doing some searchs on the net. Sorry I couldnt be more of a help.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Also check to see what tuning keys Parkers have on their basses.

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a 12-year old Carvin that has Sperzel locking tuners, which are small and light. Not guitar size, but small compared to Fender-style. I liked them so much that I bought them to put on my home-built 5-string. They were expensive, though.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Where can you find those tuners you mentioned?

9. This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but I'm just surprised/ happy to see one of my rants in QCpunkrock's signiture :D .

I do have one question, WHY do you want a six in line headstock? Why not a 4 & 2 or 3 & 3?

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    old_school, I had to search the web to find a dealer. I can't remember who I bought them from, but I remember it wasn't real easy to find a dealer. I hope they still make them. You can change strings so easily with the locking mechanism, and it cuts down on settling in time. It figures....I tend to leave flatwounds on for years.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm thanks. Do you have any suggestions as to were to start looking?

12. I've checked and seen that Parker was using Sperzel as well, so I think those tuners work well with the bass. I wonder if they are not standard Sperzel tuners but there is nothing written to say they are specially made for Parker.

I searched through Google and found that Musician's Friend is selling them. But bad luck! They were not shipping to Istanbul :mad: grrrr....

Why 6 in-a-line? Because I wanna have something different..

What about Warr Guitar and Stick tuners? One of my friend said me that they were not standard guitar pegs. But I'm affraid to e-mail them because they'll want hundreds of dollars for the tuners or sue me because it was them who first discovered such thing and I was copying them :D

Thanks for your replies...

13. There is a custom 10-string guitar/bass instrument on the Carl Thompson website that appears to use guitar-sized tuning machines for all the strings.

However I am not sure from the information given or the pictures whether the bass strings are the same as you would find on say a standard 4-string bass or smaller like on the Danelectro 60-string basses you see from time to time.

There might be some worthwhile information there for you though...

http://www.ctbasses.com/

In the Pictures/Misc. section.

14. Whoops, I meant 6-string instead of 60-string.

But I wonder if Conklin will eventually build such a thing. It could double as a landing strip for attack jets.