Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar pick-ups on a bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Manix_08, May 1, 2005.

1. Manix_08

Manix_08

Dec 27, 2004
    Is this possible?

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The string spacing would be way too narrow and they would have terrible low frequency response.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Eh, I have not found this to be true all times. Rail style pickups sould work fine. Or carvin guitar humbuckers with those 11 polepieces per coil would work as well. It's worth a try, eh?

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    [​IMG]

Prove me wrong children, prove me wrong.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    YOU'RE WRONG! Now eat my shorts!

I think both Carvin and Steinberger have done it with production models and I've done it with frankenstein projects.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Old Musicmaster's came with strat pickups. The poles didn't line up, but it worked.

New Musicmaster's come with a bass pickup, but the only replacement's are strats. Search for Musicmaster pickups to see guitar pickups in action.

7. ive done it, it works, cool sound (seymour duncan invader distortion pickups). just make sure you have a heavy enough guage of strings or else it will sound like fart. bar magnets would deffinitely work better

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

bass pups generally have a few different design considerations but fucntionally a pup is a pup and does what it does, sense a string and send a signal. I just ran a set of guitar lipsticks in the the J pup experiment.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The string spacing may be an issue, but the LF response won't be in any competently designed and made pickups.

Some I've tried and work well;

- Dimarzio Fast Track 1, XN2 (not -B version)
    - Seymour Duncan Cool rails

The Chapman Stick also uses EMG FT (Front Telecaster) pickups in it's ACTV2 module for all strings.

My business partner was also interested in making some custom pups at one stage last year, and wound some with a small fraction of the number of turns in your typical standard pickup. It needed a really good and quiet preamp, but because of the low inductance/capacitance and the resulting very high frequency, low Q resonance of the system, they had outstanding HF response as well as very good LF. Would work well for guitar or bass.

The winding geometry and magnetic structire determines the resonance, and where that's placed, and it's Q, determines a lot of the sonic attributes we hear (hint: Fletcher Munson curves). Also, having a peak in the most sensitive part of the hearing range creates an apparent tilt towards the higher frequencies, which is often perceived as being 'brighter' or 'lacking bass' when it can actually measure very well in the LF. It all depends on the design, and picking the "right" guitar pickups for the application.

10. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Danelectro used the same lipstick pickups in all their instruments.
    They sound great for bass.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've seen 9+ string basses with bass pickups for the lower 5 strings and guitar pickups for the higher strings.