Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Played on Bass Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jefft54, Oct 8, 2005.

1. :confused: This may be a strange question but does anyone play a standard 6-string guitar through their bass amp. I play bass through a GK Backline and SWR 1X15 + 2X10 and was thinking of buying a guitar. Is there a problem playing through the bass amp? I really don't want to add a guitar amp if I don't have to as my office is getting really full of equipment! :help:

2. playing guitar through a bass amp= bad idea :meh:

you should buy a small guitar amp.

3. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Most tube bass amps sound great with guitars, especially old Ampegs and Fenders. I don't think a guitar would sound very good through what you have however.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Guitar sounds great through a bass amp. Most bass amps/cabinets have a much wider frequency range than a guitar amp.

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    What are you talking about? Merle Haggard is one example. He alqays has and always will play through Fender Bassmans. Ampeg SVTs make killer guitar heads too!

6. A bass amp will not make a good guitar amp but if it is just for your own personal playing, there is nothing you can do that would create a problem.

A guitar through a bass amp will sound big, fat, and clean. Not always the desired effect. If you want a guitar sound with distortion or reverb you should consider getting a small practice amp.

One of the more sought after guitar amps was actually a bass amp. The Fender Bassman (late 1960's). It made a crappy bass amp because of the cab design and lack of power. A lot of blues guitarist used them at one time.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The distortion channel of those Backline heads for guitar sound virtually identical to one of these:
    [​IMG]

In other words, not that great. :meh:

8. Yep, you can play guitar through a bass amp, but don't play bass through a guitar amp ;)

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    There's nothing wrong with playing bass through a guitar amp. I do it all the time, and so do people like Chris Squire. It's just guitar speakers you have to be careful with.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Once, a guitarist wanted to sit in on one of my gigs, and I just handed him a 1/4" cable. He did not look where it was going... into my totally transparent solid state bass amp. But I turned up the pre gain until it distorted a bit.

It sounded great, and he even complimented me on the tone.

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I think Stevie Ray Vaughan also used guitar amps. infact a friend of mine plays his USA Strat through a marshall 115 (no i dea on the amp, but the cab is a bass cab.) I think he runs it as an extension off a fender twin deluxe.

12. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    bass tube amps are apparently good for drop-tuned heavy metal stuff in particular

just look at ashdown - they used they're bass knowledge for some pretty good guitar heads...

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Misinformation. One of the most popular vintage guitar amps out there is the Fender Bassman 50 of mid-sixties vintage. You ought to hear my acoustic and electric guitars through my Eden rigs. It's clean, true, and loud. Add the proper effects up front and it rules. It is, however, a bad idea to play a bass through guitar cabs. Poof!

14. I'd consider just picking up a guitar cab and running your GK into it... bass amps have the potential to do a fine job with the correct tweaking, but I don't find bass cabs sound too great for guitar unless you're looking for a very clean sound.

15. OK - split hairs. Of course that's what I was referring to :rolleyes:

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I play guitar through my bass rig (Hartke 3500 head and 4x10 cab) Very clean and clear... and loud! I still wouldn't mind a "proper" guitar amp (would love a Vox AC30) but that's a lower priority right now.

17. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    i hook my guitar to my trace elliot v-type. sounds awesome