1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar player blues

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lancimouspitt, Aug 16, 2012.

1. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    I'm not saying every guitar player is prone to this but i've dealt with so many.

Got together with this guy for a tribute band. He knew the stuff very,very,well,or so I thought. He starts playing one of the songs that i don't know and I ask what chord/key the song may be in.

He tells me he don't know any of the chords he plays..........:meh:

Been playing twelve to thirteen years and doesn't know more than maybe 3 chords that I can tell.
    I've been pretty enthusiastic about the music I think,got together with him and the drummer. Sounded pretty good despite he changed his strings right before practice and the sound was all over the place.

I looked up the chords,tabs,etc to one song inparticular. We play it but he's playing another chord in one part.:meh: I pretty sure it's not right with the cd but I let it slide and let him do it his way since i was till feeling the song out and didn't want to be a jerk about it since i felt a little ignorant myself.
    I try to show him what i'm doing on the change (a part he didn't know) but since he doesn't know the fretboard he can't follow because I think my 5 string was throwing him off. He insist he'll learn the part himself.

We're suppose to get together tomorrow but I noticed on cl he has already put up an add saying he's still seeking a bass player among other things. That in itself kind of makes me hope I don't get a call today or tomorrow for practice. I like the guy,and I put part of the blame on myself because their was a day or two are phone calls went unanswered between the two of us. I let him know I had another commitment but that fell out.

Anyone else experience stuff like this or have any feedback?

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    A guitarist who doesn't communicate or know what a chord is... nice guy

Show up tomorrow (today?) and ask him about it in front of the other members. That'll get them talking. Would also show you have your **** together, commitment etc...

If he's the problem with the band, who knows what'll happen?

3. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I deal with this contastantly. I've learned to identify many chords by eye/ear, but sometimes I get thrown for a loop. When I ask I usually get some answer like "a messed up B". I'm left wondering what that means and what notes besides a B I can play. It really hinders the creative process.

4. Is he playing simple stuff? Does he not know what a G, D, A , Fm Cm etc chord is? Or is he playing whacked out chord voicings that are very ambiguous and can be interpreted with a few different names? Does he at least know what notes he's playing?

Is this guy like Joni Mitchell and he want you to be his Jaco? Or is he a hobbyist who doesn't really know what he's doing and doesn't want to put some effort into finding out?

There are plenty of guitar players out there to play with...

5. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    But the guitarist sholuld be able to state at least one of the different names.

Without knowing what the chord is we as bass players are left with a few options.
    • Play only root notes
    • Guess and hope for the best
    • Play garbage that doesn't really fit

None of those options are exactly desirable.

6. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Some of the stuff is complex,other stuff...............For example I was trying to show him a part in a song,it went from like G,A,B,D,B,C,etc. (pretty fast) He didn't seem to be able to follow those chords, I would say each one as i played it slowly and it appeared he didn't know where they where on the fret board. and even less interested in learning it their. Said he would learn it on his own. It bewildered me this guy could play some really tough stuff but something that seemed so much more simple was harded to nail. Maybe i'm just too harsh,god I hope some one that knew more than me would be patient. he really is a good player though. Maybe even great and I admire the fact he knows so much just from ear,i really,honestly do. Told me he played bass too but that perplexes me beyond belief. I'm guessing what he meant was he noodled around on bass without knowing what he was playing. Probably learned a few common bass parts everyone knows when they hear it. He also told me he had never played with a band just on his own. I think though it's going to be a good thing for him though because if he doesn't let his ego get in the way he'll become even better when he knows what he's playing.
    I'm sure their are plenty of bass players and other players out their that will have the patience and endurance to help him along the way. I just don't think i'll be apart of that circle.

The more I play and go on this crazy journey through the world of music the more I think i would rather find people with half the playing talent that would understand what it meant when I said it's pretty much a 1-4-5 in A

But the good news is,out of nowhere an old guitar player friend of mine responded to a CL add I had put up quiet a while back. He didn't even know it was me.
    Where getting together next week! :)
    Great player,a little crazy,but his theory is solid.

7. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    If it ain't groovin you need to be movin.......split and find those in the know.

8. Sketchy

Sketchy

Jul 15, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Well, the guy I play bass with (he plays various things including guitar) also generally doesn't know what chord he's playing, or indeed what key he's in.

That said, it's always the right chord, and the chords used are not always sticking to a single scale.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Contact the guy and let him know you saw his new CL ad. Tell him "good luck" with your project.

It's a difficult life when you base your life on decisions you "hope" other people make.

Freedom of speech is a two-way street. Be sure you speak up when things aren't going the way you think they should. If others don't agree with you, that's fine. They can do their thing and you can do yours. No harm, no foul.

It's when you speak up and others attempt to override you and talk down to you to keep you from making your own decisions that things can get dicey.

It took me too long to learn that worrying about what others think is the road to frustration and unhappiness.

Don't be like me. :bassist:

Good luck with your band search!