1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar player might be leaving... need a solution to survive without him

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dwagner, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Our band is similar to Boxcar Racer or blink-182. Think mostly sad(ish) songs, however. Stuff kinda like Adam's song, Stay together for the kids, etc. Of course our songs are originals, but those are songs you've probably heard. Our guitarist might have to leave the band before our large gig due to some important family issues, and in this case I'm trying to figure out what I should to in the case of going without him. Getting another guitarist is not an option. Right now I play bass, but I can play guitar also. My plan is basically to make the set non-electric anymore (no distortion) and use an acoustic guitar. It would still get the same effect across (I hope).

Would there be another alternative? Will people still think it's cool if I play backing tracks to the songs, and just have bass, vocals, and drums live? Are there any effects I can add to make the bass sound more full (maybe if playing power chords on a bass).

Most of the songs are power chords, some being just the root and it's fifth, and other times a root, fifth, and it's octave (mainly because most of the music was distorted rock).

What is everyone's thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks. :D

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    why can't you get another guitar player?

3. I'd have to find one and then he'd have to learn all the songs in less than 7 days.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I learned 32 songs in 4 days just last week with two kids, school, and homework. How many songs are you doing?

5. It's a 13-track album we're going to release soon.
    The problem isn't really learning the songs -- it's finding a guitarist.
    I live in the middle of nowhere, and the drummer and I are close friends. I highly doubt I can find someone soon enough.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe you could find a bass player and you play guitar?

7. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Plug yer bass into a fuzz pedal. Problem solved.
    Your welcome!

8. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Can you play the guitar parts fine?...if so then get the bass tracks and click and play with the bass track....I have seen a few pro bands do this....it ain't perfect but it will look and sound better than no guitarist...just do it till you get another guitarist...good luck

9. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Ten string Bass. EADGEADGBE lol, just strum hard.

10. Thanks... I'm thinking of trying this.
    I did end up finding a keyboard player for the piano parts, so maybe we'll just shape the set around piano more.

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Can I assume you have a good drummer?

If your songs allow for the acoustic option and you know the guitar parts I'd say just roll with that for now and use your keyboard player to carry the bass. Give your drummer some rods and give it your best shot. Your only issue is if the venue is expecting a full electric band on the lineup. I'd clue them in just as a courtesy.

12. You have a keyboard player? Get him to do a synth bassline and you go cover electric guitar.

Careful about recording backing tracks. It requires a good enough drummer to stay on the click.

I'd be wary of doing the acoustic thing. If the venue is expecting an energetic pop-punk band they might be disappointed when you turn it into acoustic night. A set of acoustic power chords will get old kinda fast.

Also check out Death from Above 1979 on Youtube. You could do something like that maybe, depending on your band's sound. That's just bass and drums.

13. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Epic!! Baahahahaha

Seriously, a tough spot you're in. As others have said, record the bass line and get ready to play guitar. Honestly, you can prolly find a bass player to cover for you pretty quickly depending on where you live. I've done exactly that for several large/well known bands. This kind of thing happens. People get sick, have conflict, life happens. They key is to take action tomorrow morning with the sun rise.

14. I'd just do an acoustic set. I play bass and Ive done a set before playing acoustic guitar no one seemed bent out of shape about it.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This is what I would do.

16. h2omaker

h2omaker

Feb 24, 2013
    Central Alabama
    +1

17. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Do the "coffee shop circuit" with an acoustic guitar, vox, and a djembe or something. Either that or find yourself a 6 string bass and start tapping alot. =P

18. Bummer. If it’s a 13 song CD/album release party - your in big trouble “IF” your guitarist does a NO SHOW!!! Good luck bro.

EDIT: family issues? Did someone die?

19. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

You don't happen to have an 8-string bass (tuned in pairs of octaves) do you? I have experimented with playing power chords through distortion with mine, with good results. My brother (a drummer) and I once jammed a few tunes as a duo that way.

20. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    You have only one option. Go guitar. Play an awesome show with the keyboard player, singer and drummer. Play the crap out of the guitar parts. Advertise you are looking for a new bass player or guitarist.

If your band does a great job, you should find someone through word of mouth.

In your setting, the sound of the guitar is more imporant to the music, see what parts the keys can handle.