1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar player originally, now playing a lot of bass these days

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by taco60616, Jul 31, 2012.

1. taco60616

taco60616

Jul 31, 2012
    I've been playing music for over 5 years. I originally started and learned most of what I know on guitar. I played bass on and off throughout the years, not taking it very seriously.

However lately, I've been borrowing a very nice MIM Jazz Bass from a friend, and I haven't taken my hands off of it ever since. I've been playing along to a lot of Rush, working on my finger technique.

I have been having fun giving bass guitar more of my time. It's like learning a whole different instrument, but I'm not completely at square one.

Is this merely a phase or a transformation?

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    I've played guitar for 25 years....2 years ago i wondered into the local Long n McQuade looking to trade in an Ernie Ball Axis which i hated .....i knew it would fetch a decent trade value and all i wanted was anything i might enjoy or use for recording in my home studio. I looked at mics and preamps and decided i didn't need any o that ...then i remembered the difficulty i faced trying to coax a tone out of the half wired pups in the old vantage 4 string that rested in the corner 51 weeks of the year.

I traded straight up for a Sterling Ray and haven't stopped wood shedding bass sinse .....i'm actually making a decent $ locally from bass gigs now ...at first i thought it was a silly obscession as i felt i should be working on my country chicken pickin' ....but now it all makes sense LOL.

i went from Sterling Ray - American Jazz - Sr 500 4string - Sr 500 5 string - Warwick covertte - SX Pbass - American Jazz LOL ...in less than 2 years. I still have the latest 3 basses and they'll stay....i think.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    You're turning into a multi-instrumentalist.
    Remember to use your guitar skills but think bass also.
    My guitar buddies who double on both can blow me away technically
    but when they are playing bass they sound like guitar players because
    they think guitar. I think bass 90% of the time.