1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar players say the darndest things

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassist4Eris, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

My guitar player was complaining about our audience at practice the other night. Apparently, they are drinking and dancing too much, and "not really paying attention to the music" :rolleyes::D

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    At practice?

3. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    "I can't learn all these (3) songs in one week! I'm only one man!"

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    That is pretty funny... However it's getting to the point where we need a sub-forum called "Guitarists are Stupid LOL" or some such.

It's like we, as bass players, are insecure.

5. Or like guitarists are often so beyond the pale that we just have to laugh at their collective egocentricity and stupidity.

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Ah i've generally been lucky, my guitarists are great ;)

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I play in a 3 piece. Our guitar player is a geology professor (and our drummer a 5th grade science teacher, who got an award from Bill Clinton for being the "Top Science Teacher in the US.")

Me, with my every advancing dementia which has been a problem since I was about 50 (ten years now) am the weak mental link in our band. They put up with me and my quirks. If I only could get the brain cells back I destroyed in my 20's and early 30's.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Sorry, bad sentence structure on my part. There was no audience at practice. He was complaining at practice. His complaint was about the audiences at our gigs.

9. Me, "Have you thought about practicing with a metronome?"
    Guitarist, "Yeah, I tried it 2 or three times but it didn't work. It kept throwing me off"

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Ok I thought man that group is popular they have people watching them practice LOL

11. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah who wants people dancing anyway? I'd much prefer to have people intensely staring at my guitarist all night worshiping every note he plays while I stand up the back looking bored and play root notes.

If he wants to avoid people 'not really paying attention to the music' maybe he is a wanna be Joe Satriani or Yngnie Malsteem who's audience (from what I've seen) seems mostly guitarists?

12. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    This one is kinda stupid. At least to me.

Guitarist is showing me a new song. He says "This song is in E sharp"

I proceed to grab my fretless. I then had to explain that E sharp and F are the same except on the fretless where I can find that sweet spot between the two.

Also, my drummer's cat is named D.O.G.

I totally understand this one. I have a beautiful West German Metronome from the 70's. I can't play to a metronome to save my life. I need a drum track at least.

13. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Guitarist to soundman: If I'm too loud, let me know and I'll tell the rest of the band to turn up.

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yeah, reminds me of when I was in the corporate world and my staff would complain about "those darn users". Uh ... who did they think we were workin' for?

15. loogy1

loogy1

Feb 23, 2013
    richmond, va
    just play this....
    du-du- du du-du du-du- du du-du du-du- du du-du du du du du-duuuuuuuuuuu

16. When I was in high school we always had girls hanging out at our practices. One of them did some modeling, for reasons plain to see.

Very strong motivation to be in a band.

17. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

As a guitarist who also plays BG and DB, I'm getting a kick out of these replies. We 6 stringers can be slightly out of our minds at times.

fqrajiak.

18. My guitarist has a Line 6 HD147 into a Crate 412 with Celestions- but it's direct from the head into the board. A fan comes up one night and likes his tone. My guitarist tells him 'yeah, those Celestions really complement that Line 6's tubes'

Line 6 are all digital.
    The head is DI'd anyway.

19. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

20. Reminds me of my gui****.

His head is a 150 watt solid state Line 6.

Him: "I dunno, Its making some weird noises. I think the tubes are going bad"

Me: " It doesnt have any tubes"

Him: "Yes it does, thats what Trans-tube means!!"