1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar players turned bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowner, May 21, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This is a post on music theory that every beginning musician should read, if only for the sentence "So much easier to work things out in a band if everyone speaks the same language." I've found that to be immeasurably true, and I know I'm far from being the only one.

2. I play bass and guitar. I like the crazy sounds I can get out a guitar more, but bass comes much easier to me.

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I tought myself how to play guitar when I was 11. I made it all the way through high school without ever touching a bass, even though I had 3 or 4 friends that played. I got into college and my friend, a great metal guitar player, found a cool drummer and wanted to start a band. None of the bass players they had tried out meshed with the band at all.

I told him I thought I could do it. So I got a bass, a rig, and set out to it.

I'm such a better guitar player now because of it too.

However I don't consider myself a guitar player anymore.

:bassist: Bass all the way.

4. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    bass player and only a bass player since I was a teenager. I love the instrument! I only seek to get as good as I possibly can on it.

I've known some excellent bassists that started out as guitarists. I believe it's because someone that understands the composition of chords and how to do leads is well suited to creating bass lines.

Some famous bassists started out as guitarists - Geddy Lee comes to mind, who was "kicked to bass" in the earliest version of Rush because he wasn't thought good enough on lead guitar.

5. I am also a guitarist-turn-bassist. I always thought bass is fun to play only if your guitarist can take care of the songwriting. Ive been in several bands that the guitarist can't writing any material. I ve to pick my guitar again, and writing part for them to play. Actually, Ive been doing that a lots recently, so I would say I play a equal amount of guitar and bass. I still love em' both!!

6. Willie_the_Pimp

Willie_the_Pimp

Apr 19, 2005
    I'm a guitarist-turned-bassist. Whenever I get into a rut on the guitar I pick up my bass and dont touch my guitar for months. Then when i do pick it up, it's like all this dormant genius :rolleyes: just flows like a river....