1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar polish on my Shergold?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I'm a bit worried about this so here it goes.

Basically my Shergold has become grubby and dirty and I want to polish/clean it.
    Problem- the bass has the original finish. Because of the bass' age (32) the finish has cracked and so I'm worried incase I strip the finish off.

The Shergold site is not much use and with Shergolds being so rare I haven't found any information specifically for them.

So, will I do any damage if I use an ordinary polish on my Shergold (in this case Dunlop Formula 65 polish)?

2. No more damage than the sick did! :p

3. That's not funny!

4. But seriously.

He's probably got a point, I'd imagine, due to the acidic qualities of vomit (note: I am not a chemist, I just play one on TB). Can't see guitar polish being any more damaging.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes, it still is. ;)

As long as you aren't going after your finish with a powered polisher, you're probably fine.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I use pledge on my Poly finish. Nothing hurts Fender MIM poly.

7. Hi, Fassa.

I think that it's a valid concern with an old finish, so why all the BS guys?

Anyway, try the polish/cleaner on the back side first to see if the finish can take it. In any case use it sparingly as any liquid in the paint cracks is harmful in the long run.

Personally I'd use carnauba wax, but that would still require careful application (+ elbow grease) and possibly taking the instrument apart to get the wax on evenly.

Regards
    Sam

8. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Shergold finishes tend to be pretty thick (try stripping one some time!) so you shouldn't do any damage. I use standard polish (GHS gloss, Fender, whatever) on my Meteor g*t*r - no problems.

9. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    def still funny.

10. Agreed. I came here to mention something about puke, and was beaten to it. I leave satisfied :)

11. Dammit! I was going to say that!

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 :D

13. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I wouldn't use guitar polish on a bass. You need bass polish.

14. Yes, and Monster brand is the best. It's $120 a pint, but it's totally worth it.

15. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    hahahaha whaaat?

a finish is a finish! if its a poly finish it's gonna be the same, guitar, sitar, mando, viola, school desk even a bass!!!! the type of instrument has nothing to do with the type of polish... it all depends on the finish itself!

i dont know why i even try!

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I wasn't detecting sarcasm from Baba's post, either. :D