Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar polish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stevekim, Jul 13, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    how do you get rid of small hairline scratches on your bass? is there some sort of polish i can use to get rid of these?

-steve

2. yes there is.

in holland is a company called " commandant " which makes special polish to clear off scratches, dull spots, etc, etc..

originally it's made for cars, but it did miracles on mr.p too :)

[​IMG]

3. Hmm yeah in holland they make it big.... minimum size... 3000 litres. :p

:D:D

Merls

4. aye... #%^(*%^( traffic in Holland.. lots of scratching..

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Ordinary toothpaste can work with minor scratches. I had some shirt button scratches on the back of my bass (not usually a big deal, but they really showed up) that I rubbed a little Crest™ on and voila!...the scratches were gone.

Minty fresh bass for just that special occasion.

6. OK.. lesson nr.1 in bass cleaning.

you do NOT use toothpaste.

toothpaste has chemicals in it that **** up your finish. it's sort of a bleach..

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    removing these scratches is proving harder than i thought. i spent a couple hours rubbing swirl remover compound into my bass and the scratches are still there. they really didn't seem that deep but apparently they are. do i really need to take a buffing wheel to this thing? how much do you think a luthier would charge to quickly buff the whole thing?

-steve

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    originally posted by AllodoX:

I think it depends on the finish. I wouldn't try it on a Warwick or any oil-stained finish, but it didn't hurt my black gloss finish a bit, tho' it shouldn't be used in lieu of a good guitar polish.

9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Rain Dance or Mcguires is a good cleaner. Be Careful!! you can overdo it. Some scratches will not come out.

I use Ken Smith instrument (the pink stuff) polish for regular polishing.

I have come to the conclusion that I must live with minor scratches, or I'll have no finish from repeted buff jobs.

My Musicman bass has a polyester finish that hardly scratches at all.

My FBass has a nitrocellulose lacquer finish that scratches easily.

It will make you mental.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Virtuoso Instrument Cleaner and Polish is AMAZING! It's more expensive (something like $12 a bottle), but it is WELL worth it! GREAT stuff! And I think Guitar Center is selling it now, so check around.