Guitar Polish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gordon5377, Aug 11, 2009.

1. gordon5377

gordon5377

Mar 15, 2009
    Has anyone ever had any issues with Dunlop 65 guitar polish?

Quick story: Had my bass (Geddy Lee Jazz) down to my local guitar tech to have normal work done. When he services guitars, he also cleans them up nice to give them back to customers (kind of a cool little extra). Anyway, I was playing a gig this weekend and was sweating my butt of - very humid in PA during the weekend - and the neck of my bass actually got sticky. Also, on the body of the bass where my wrist rubbed, there was a light white foam which developed. Not a lot, but you could see it. Called my buddy and he told me he used Dunlop 65 polish on the bass so I wondered if this was the cause of the problem.

I used to use Martin Guitar Polish until they change the formulation, now I don't care for it.

Any suggestions. I like a polish that adds some lubricity to the neck.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I personally like to clean and polish with Fender Mist & Wipe Finish Enhancer. It's formulated by Meguiar's (a well known automotive polish/wax maker) and works real good for me. Then I follow that up with a Finger Ease coating of the strings and back of the neck. Finger Ease gives your strings, particularly important for round wounds, a good protectant coating for the crap that is on your hands and fingers. The coating on the back and side of the neck makes it nice and slick so that you don't get stuck. No problems with any foaming either. BTW, I'm a big time sweater too. I keep a hand towel on or near my music stand and frequently wipe the strings during sets, particularly in this hot and humid weather. :cool:

3. I use the dunlop 65 on my Am. Standard Pbass. with no problems. acually like the way it cleans and brightens up the bass......hmmmmm:meh:

4. otaypanky

otaypanky Commercial User

Mar 2, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Pa.
    Owner, Brookwood Leather
    I live in Pa. too and it was like a sauna this past weekend~
    I keep a micro- fiber cloth that's moistened with mineral oil in a plastic bag. It's a great way to keep the strings clean and corrosion resistant and keeps the neck slick too ~
    Lasts for months then run it through the wash. For a quick slick down of the neck I also keep a little mineral oil in a tiny little bottle that held contact lens rewetting solution. A drop in the palm of the hand is all it takes.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Virtuoso cleaner and polish for me. Good stuff.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Solvents dissolve.
    Oils lubricate.
    WD40 displaces water.

Cleaners may dissolve if there is a solvent in the formula.

Applying oil to anything only lubricates the item. It cannot clean.

Oil tends to build on a surface with repeated applications unless the first layer is stripped off. That is how hand rubbed oil finishes, like you might find on a high end piece of furniture or bass guitar, work. Stripping off an oil finish, even if it's only one coat, requires a solvent.

Always be suspicious of a product that claims to do two things, like clean and lubricate, at the same time. They usually do neither very well.

If you like the stuff you are putting on your instrument keep on using it. Just remember that oils do not clean, they can only lubricate.

Also remember that WD 40 only serves to protect the target material from moisture. It doesn't do any of the above.

7. gordon5377

gordon5377

Mar 15, 2009

Don't get me wrong, the bass looked like new when I got it back. The body had that feel of car that had just been waxed. But man, after a half set of playing there was sticky stuff everywhere!:eyebrow:

I would continue to use the Dunlop if I knew this was not the cause of the problem.

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You are the cause of the problem.

Boy, that sounds harsh. But it's true. The triglycerides in your skin and sweat react with waxes in the polish and produce the haze that you dislike so strongly.

Triglycerides are what keep skin soft and supple. They also can dissolve some finishes. Ever sit in an old chair and scrape your fingernails over the arm and find that the finish is soft? That chair was not cleaned and waxed very often. Over the years, the triglycerides have bonded with the finish and softened it to the point where you can remove it with your bare hands. If the item had been cleaned and waxed regularly the finish would have been protected from long term damage.

Modern poly finishes are not affected by triglycerides. Waxing or polishing them is still a good idea to keep them safer from other pollutants in the environment. Besides, they look pretty when they are newly waxed.

Could it be something else? Sure. Maybe the chemistry of your perspirationis such that something else reacts with the wax in the polish. Or maybe it reacts with something else in the formula.

So what are you to do? Most shops abandoned Martin polish when they changed the formula a decade ago. Many of us switched to Dunlop 65. It works really well in most cases. You have found out that it doesn't work for you. The solution is to try other products. You should be able to find one that is compatible with your body chemistry.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021