Guitar polish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chinjazz, Oct 29, 2011.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hi,

I have this old bottle of Smith guitar polish (the pink stuff). My basses are all gloss.

I think the bottle is about 10 years old. Seems to be working fine.

What are you all using now a days?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Dunlop "65" works pretty good for me, especially on gloss finishes. I had the Smith polish, and I thought it worked pretty good, until I got the dunlop stuff. I was a big fan of Gruhn's polish, but, it was only available at Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville, TN. it was pricey, but, you only used it once every 6 mos. or so.

3. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks, I'll pick up some 65 today and give er a try.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Whatever I happen to be using on my truck. Currently, Eagle 1 Nanowax.

5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I use this.. Scratch X 2.0. It is FANTASTIC. Get it at Wally world.. removes most minor to medium scratches and shines to a HIGH gloss.

6. Winzer Reflection...used to be called "Power Chord." It's actually not a polish, you should read up on it. Amazing stuff, will shine your guitar up nicely, best of all you can use it on many other things too. Apply it to your strings and they'll last much longer, especially if you do it right after a gig, will take all the finger acid and crud right off.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've got so much crap on my shelf, I don't even want to think about it...but since you asked:

Meguiar's Scratch X, Zymol, 3M Finesse-it II, and countless tins of rubbing compound.

Riis

8. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks everyone!

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Virtuoso. Search online.

10. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I've used GHS guitar polish before, but now I'm too cheap and lazy. I usually just take a shirt or smooth rag that's clean and just rub away for a few minutes when changing strings. Does polish it up but doesn't get as shiny as with a guitar polish.

11. TeeAre

TeeAre

Oct 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great suggestions, y'all!

Does anyone know a "polish" to use that won't make the instrument shiny? I have a Highway One jazz with a thin layer of nitro. It's flat and satin-like, and I really like it. Want to keep it clean and such, but don't want it to use anything that will inhibit the wood from breathing/resonating.

12. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    I tried out the Dunlop 65, and it was clean, not waxy. It does seem like there are a bunch of options out there. Some for taking care of scratch/swirling, etc. At least for this purpose of polishing, it worked fine. I'll definitely bookmark this thread for the helpful input.

Thanks

13. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    Virtuoso is the best especially for nitro finishes.

14. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    STELLING "GLYDE-COAT" INSTRUMENT POLISH

SGP4.jpg

15. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    I have used Dr Ducks Deluxe Ax Wax for years. Great product for the entire instrument. A little goes a long way, no residue.

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    The Scratch X is great. Don't use it on the fretboard.. use lemon oil on the fret board.

17. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Interesting. I've used Dr. Ducks mainly for fretboard and neck conditioner, cleaner. Not really as a polish for bodies.

18. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL

Lemon oil on a fretboard if it's not maple is what I heard (unless it's got a thick gloss coating. Or something along those lines.

19. TeeAre

TeeAre

Oct 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've always believed in just a thin application of linseed oil on the fretboard after cleaning it with 0000 steel wool.

Just my experience ...

Definitely going to have to look into virtuoso, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021