1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Guitar Problem?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Aug 27, 2016.

1. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I'm currently in a project the is two guitar singer/songwriter's and me. Both guitarists have original material as well as covers. Both are experienced players, and we get favorable responses at our gigs, both from the crowd and the venue owners. Here's the issue - one guitar player 'yess-es' us to death in rehearsal regarding how and what (chords/notes) he is playing, but then at the gig seems to forget what was done in rehearsal! The other guitar player has his songs that he wants played a certain way, and is thrown off by deviation from that. I can understand his gripe - playing jazz-style chords and riffs on top of a blues bottom, if not done right, can be disturbing. The thing is, that the sound (when it is done right) is unique, and we like it! So, I find that work needs to be done on two fronts - the player needs to step back, and play the music as it needs to be, and the other player needs to concentrate on his part, and let the music happen. The original material is all together; just some of the covers and blues numbers are having this issue.
    Any thoughts on what to do?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    So you have two problems (AKA guitar players) - I've yet to figure out a solution to that but I'll follow this thread to see if anyone has ;) :( .

Torrente Cro and MrRubi04 like this.
  3. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Ha! I hadn't thought of it that way - I guess you're right!

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Start playing weird stuff on your bass during rehearsal....

When the guitarist asks why you're doing it, ask him why HE'S doing it a during gigs ;)

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

What I've noticed about guitarist singer/songwriter types is that often they're very used to working solo, and being used to working solo they often will alter tempos, throw in dramatic pauses, or vary their chord progressions on the spur of the moment. That's all great when you're the only one playing. When you're part of a band... not so much. So basically, you need to lay it out to them that they're in a band now, and if they want to continue playing in a band they have to work with the team, develop some self-discipline, and stick to what was rehearsed.

MattZilla likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021