1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar question.. 6 to 7 string conversion.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by __HM__, Apr 13, 2010.

1. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Picked up a squier strat, got bored, got an idea. Now then. I dont care if it has the trem or not. But basically I need to make some kind of bridge for it. I already have the 7th tuner and the nut installed and set up just fine. I just need a really thin spaced 7 string bridge. It's a standard strat spaced neck, 21 frets. If anyone would give me some input for a bridge design i'd greatly appreciate it.. I cant really work with metal. And i dont want to go to a shop for this little project.. I was thinking something similar to an acoustic guitar bridge.. fixed saddle, and I'd string it through the back. Like a chunk of wood over top of the cavity for the old tremolo bridge, with a saddle on it, and 7 holes drilled behind the saddle. you know? How would that work? Intonation doesn't have to be perfect, It's gonna be a big drop tuning rhythm axe anyways, you know. Any input's welcome.. Thanks!

2. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    ?

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Why can't you work with metal? It takes a little longer but works up nicely! If I were doing this, I'd probably see about making an L-shaped bridge like a stock fender. I'd take seven saddles and file the sides to narrow them to the correct string spacing needed to fit seven strings on the neck. Then I'd drill seven locating holes for the saddle adjustment bolts in the new L shaped bridge and bolt it on and go. You could make the bridge by hand with a hunk of 1/8" steel and a vise. If you have a jigsaw, pick up some metal blades and go to town...