guitar question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i want a guitar really bad. a cheap one. ive played a mim jazz for awhile, so i trust the mim fenders. but im not sure if a mim telecaster or strat would be suitable for hardcore metal stylings. i dont know ANYTHING about guitars. i just know that it dosnt seem like telecasters/strats are in many of those type of bands
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ibanez... "The king of Shread"

That would be decient for metal.

I like the RG1570 and (I think this is what it is) the RG7420 (Seven String)

BUT do you want a Seven Or Six string?
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Stay away from Teles. They're fine guitars, but they're not really hardcore metal guitars. A strat would be allright, though.

I'd go with something with a bit more crunch, though. Teles and Strats have single coil pickups, which tend to be twangy. I suggest you get something with humbuckers, like an Epiphone Les Paul or (even better), an SG

If you want to look the part too, you could always go BC Rich.

Since you're a beginner, I'd go six string, whicch is really the standard. The case for extra strings on a bass is very good, but on a guitar, it's just one more string for you to learn. Leave the low stuff for the bass player, that's what they're for!:D
  4. Fenders are exellent guitars but not for metal.
    Go for a gibson les paul, explorer. Jacksons are cool also.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Didnt he say he wants a cheap one? I dont think rcomending high end RG's or Gibsons will help.

I would get a lower end RG, maybe a 320 or 540.
  6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    RG's are pretty cheap, Used a 1570 is not only high quality, but about $375 on ebay (when they are on ebay)
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think it would be fun to have one, and just record something, and loop it. And just make up a little jam to it on bass.
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, ESP's look awsome too. There's a really cool looking one on for like $200 I think...
  10. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    also its going to need to be able to be sub-tuned ;/ im not sure if some guitars have trouble detuning or what :p and i'd perfer if it didnt look the part. i dont like guitars that try to look scary :(
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I noticed a few here saying that certain guitars may not have the "heavy" tone. I was going to default to Ibanez myself as a good economic, reliable choice. Then I remembered...

Alot of tunes with great tone are Fenders, and other non-metal type guitars. It depends really on how you play, and the tone/sound your fingers/gear produce.

Some people can probably make a bony 'ol Tele sound like Godzilla. Just try out guitars in a way that closely duplicates how you're going to use them, and choose the one that works for you. Do that with any instrument.
  12. get a fat strat, a strat with a humbucker, or get mim fender strat and replace the bridge pickup with one of those single coiled sized humbuckers.
  13. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    is there any songs/samples to give an example of a fat strats tone?
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd definately recommend Ibanez...I played an RG7421 (7 string for a while) and I'm planning on getting an RG250DX soon. However, if you're doing metal, check out ESP's and 80's Kramer's too! Oh, and recent B.C. Riches are pretty crappy.