Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GUITAR QUESTION!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Sep 29, 2004.

1. hey im very sorry about this, but there is no other forum that is as good as this, and i wanted to ask a question about guitars.
    im looking to buy a guitar to mess around with, and a descent amp. all for around 500-600.
    i want to buy a guitar that sounds good for hardcore, and some metalcore.
    mostly just kinda old school hardcore/punk stuff. im thinking of a gibson, but i dont know which kind and whatnot.
    and then for a amp, one that will sound good jamming by myself, and even for practices with a band. (practices, not shows)

if anything, send me a link to a good forum or something

2. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    The Gibson Les Pauls and Gibson Explorer's are awesome but really expeisnive, if you can't afford it, Epiphone do the official budget version of the Les paul :)

3. I'd suggest a lower end ESP or Schecter for the guitar, I like both companies a lot. I don't know a lot about guitar amps though, sorry.

4. you can never go wrong with a les paul- best guitars out there, epi or gibson. You can get yourself a lp100, and a good amp of about 100 watts , for like 500 total.

5. hey thanks a lot guys.. i just loked at the lp-100, it looks pretty good, but does it sound very good? i might go check it out tommarow.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Misc...

7. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    for a guitar, I would go with an ESP for hard rockin'. I always play a guitar out of my bass practice amp, but a Peavy guitar amp might do well. :)

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    ESP or Schecter on the guitar. You can get them used cheap.

On the amp I would recommend a Hughes & Kettner Blue Edition 60 or a Line 6 Spider II amp (1x12). Both (I have a Blue Edition 30, not enough power and its a 1x10) have really killer tone for guitar especially for the newer metalcore types of music. Check'em out.

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'm going to go way out here and say.....

Conklin. Groove Tools GTG7. It's a 7-string, so you'll have all the low range of a 5+ string bass, and all the other Groove Tools instruments have been solid. Plus, it's like 600 bucks, max, for the version with a trem bar, and less for the hardtail. I'm seriously thinking of one of these myself.

10. For a low priced guitar, it sounds really good to me. Its got the open coil humbuckers i believe. It may not be up to snuff as a standard lp , but it can whoop any esp or conklin or whatever else for a low price.

11. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Epiphones as a whole are a huge ripoff.

Epiphones are made in Korea by a company named Samick. Samick buys all the parts, Samick physically constructs the guitars, Samick pays the workers etc. Once the guitars is done being built, Samick will sell it to Epiphone, and charge them the price of the materials, plus the price to pay their workers, plus mark it up so that Samick can make a profit, so we'll say at this point, Samick sells the guitar to Epiphone for $100, $60 is used to pay for materials and labor, $40 is kept as profit. Then Epiphone sells the guitars to stores, and Epiphone must mark up the price to make a profit as well. However, Epiphone has the luxury of being associated with (owned by) Gibson, so they can mark up the price of their guitars much more than other companies that Samick builds guitars for, like Kramer and Washburn. So Epiphone will sell the guitar they payed $100 for to the guitar store for say $300. The store then must mark up the price even more when they sell it to you to make a profit, so they mark it up to $400, then sell it to you.

Now of couse, Epiphone must keep the price at a somewhat reasonable level. Being owned and advertised for by Gibson is a big plus, and it means they can charge alot more for their guitars than they could for the same guitars under a different name, but the name association will only go so far to sell a guitar. In order to still make money and be able to have a guitar that sells for a relatively low price, Epiphone can not have Samick make guitars that are too expensive. So the guitars Samick makes for Epiphone aren't all that great, but the marketing of them by Gibson gives people the impression that they're great anyway.

Samick also makes guitars of their own, and they end up costing you MUCH less for the same quality guitars. When Samick makes a guitar for themselves, they still buy all the wood, pay all the workers etc., but there is no middle man (epiphone) when they sell it to the guitar stores. So Samick gets a guitar made, they pay the people whom they bought the materials from, they pay their workers etc. but at this point, Samick has only spent $60 to get a guitar finished, the same quality guitar that they'd sell Epiphone for $100. Then, Samick sells their guitars to stores. But relatively few people know about Samick, so they're less likely to sell that Epiphone would, and so Samick can't mark up their prices as much as Epiphone does, so let's say they sell their guitar, which cost them $60 to make, for $120 to the store. The store, then must mark the guitar up, but again, Samick isn't as known and isn't as sure a sell as Epiphone, so they can't mark it up as much, and mark it up to $200 and that's the price they sell it to you for.

So you have the choice between a $400 Epiphone guitar, or a $200 Samick guitar of the same quality. And hell, if you're willing to pay $400, you can get a Samick that is much better quality than a $400 Epiphone.

See what I'm saying? Epiphone is just ripping you off.

The numbers given weren't actual figures, but the concepts the illustrate are really at play.

Though unless you buy used, you're not going to get a great metal setup for 500-600. Getting a tube amp is the real key for great metal distortion, you might try looking around for a used Peavey Classic 30.

12. uh...... samicks are actually good guitars- greg bennett line

But yeah, uh..... I dont consider it a rip off if the Epiphones sound good. But hey i guess thats a matter of opinion.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I own a Samick, and I've played several Epiphone basses. I have never played a Samick of comparable price to an Epiphone bass that had better fit, finish, setup, construction, or aesthetics. Tone...well, I've played Samicks that sound better than EB-0's. The Thunderbird bass sounds great for the price though. With a bridge pickup, the EB-0 would sound great (still short scale though, there needs to be a happy medium between the EB-0 and EB-3).

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife has an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. It sounds better and has better fit & finish than any Samick LP copy I have ever played.