Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 2, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one of my buddies wants to get another hollowbody guitar to compliment his PRS Hollowbody 2, but doesn't really want to spend that kind of money again. pretty much, he wants something with a mahogany back and preferably neck, semi hollow with f-holes, and soapbars. i've already recommended the warmoth route but he wants to know of any other guitar makers out there that already make/would make such a thing. he's aiming at around 2k, preferably a little less.

2. He should absloutely check out some of the new Godin semi-acoustics. They fit that description perfectly and are superbly made instruments. Check out their website:

3. I too would recommend the Godin Multiac Jazz, with the caveat that the mag-only sound is a bit thin and piezo needs to be dialed in all the time.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The new Godin Flat Five is intended to be something of a PRS killer.

He should also check out the McInturff Polaris (no f hole, but a round soundhole semihollowbody), any of the U.S. Hamers and the Carvin AE185.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I agree on the Godins. Awesome guitars! Is he wanting the full body depth? If so, maybe something like a Gibson Es-175. Of course, that has humbuckers, but it's pretty easy to have those switched out to some humbucker-sized P-90s. If he wants a thinner body, maybe an ES-137. Just a few suggestions from the Gibson lines, but there are TONS of options out there.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My best recommendation would be a Hamer Newport or Newport Pro. One pickup option on these is the Duncan PhatCats, which are P90ish PUs in HB size. There are also other aftermarket repalcements of this type, such as the Bill Lawrence L490 and 495, the Rio Grande Bastard, and the Harmonic Design Z-90. Or one of the Monaco models if he wants a slightly longer scale. I have a Newport Pro, and it's a great guitar.

Slightly more off-the-wall options: a Carvin AE185 or Holdsworth Fatboy. I have a Fatboy, and it's also a great instrument. Mahogany isn't standard, but I'm 99% sure Carvin will build it that way if you ask, even though it's a sig model.

Godins are good too.

7. I have an AE185 and I really like it, but I don't think the stock pickups are up to snuff. I got it used at a great price, though ($450), so even a couple hundred bucks for a pair of Duncan Seths puts it way below the stated price range.