1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigitalMan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I guess this could go under recording equipment instead, but this thread is the closest match I can think of.

I'm looking for an electric guitar recommendation for use in home recording and overall goofing around. Price range $500-$1000 or so. My challenge is that most guitars feel very crowded for the left hand in particular. I am hoping some of you folks have had similar thoughts being primarily bass players, and perhaps I can benefit from your experience and shorten my search.

As you can tell from my price range I'm looking to avoid cheap entry level or expensive boutique level gear. Basically I want something that hits the sweet spot of price to value range relative to my decidedly amateurish abilities.

I would also prefer a mainstream or traditional look and feel. I'm sure there is a great BC Rich guitar out there that doesn't have my name on it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I plan on heading to the store in a day or two and hopefully have a few brands and models in mind by then to try out.

2. Well, this is a very basic generalization, but the two major camps in electric guitar are styled after Gibsons or Fenders, since you'd like to keep it traditional and familiar. Between those, guitars that are built from the Gibson mold generally have the wider fretboards. So check the specs on Les Pauls and such, and find those manufacturers who are building them that way. A Les Paul Studio fits the bill and can be found right in your budget, and PRS makes a couple of models in that price point as well. Most Gibson-style guitars come with the two humbucker array, but you can get P90s and other pickups if you hunt around.

Good luck.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Les Paul Studio..best guitar for the money IMHO.
    Pleny of them around for 700-800$

4. My brother has a Squier Standard Stratocaster- really pretty and sounds great IMO.

GuitarPictures026.

5. +1, I own one in Arctic White, it's perfect. I have no need for any of the more ornate or expensive Les Pauls, this one does the same thing and has killer looks.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Guys, thanks for the feedback. The detail about Les Paul's having a little wider necks is great to know. I will surely have a Les Paul studio on the short list. As primarily a Jazz bass player I think I owe it to myself to check into the stratocaster line as well.

Anyone else I should be checking out?

Thanks again!

7. Get a Fender or Fender-like Strat with a humbucker pickup at the bridge. This gives you a very nice and wide sonic range. For non-Fenders, check out the Ernie Ball MusicMan ones, especially the Silhouettes/Silos, very ergonomically and also have a wide range of sounds.

8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Care to resell it later, and get some decent money back out of it? Plan to keep it in a HSC, or nice gig bag when it's not being played?

Go for a pre-owned, minty, MIM Stratocaster, or MIM Telecaster. After a reasonable setup, it will do what you want, and hold value for resale.

Squier 'beginner' guitars (Most including the Standard models) command pennies, or sometimes a few dollars from buyers picking them up for used prices. Pass on that!

9. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    I have an Epi Les Paul standard, with s. duncan jazz pickups, sounds great. Picked it up used with the pickups and a hard shell for $300, great value if you ask me. Looks nice too. mines black with cream binding and pickguard and block inlays.

10. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Bear in mind, unless you play a Hofner bass, the carved top on the Les Paul may take some getting used to.

My son plays Dean electrics, and though he loves the LP sound, he can't stand playing mine. Says it feels "weird."

LP sound/flat top = SG.

11. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Fenders have a slightly longer scale than a Gibson. I like and own both. When I pick up a guitar it is usually my 78' Gibson The Paul. So +2 to the Les Paul Studio recomendation. thhose are great guitars. I love my Fenders just as much but that old gibson just feels comfy. I also have an Epiphone DOT 335 that I like a lot, but it is typical Chinese stuff - OK Pups, crap electronics and hollow nut, but you can pick up an Epi Les Paul Deluxe used for 350 or so change out the pots, switch, jack and nut for less than 50 bucks and there is a substantial improvement. Just another cheaper option.

12. I forgot to mention, with the humbucker at the bridge you could approximate Gibson and similar heavy guitar sounds. It's much harder to make a Gibson style guitar sound like a Fender unless you could do split-coiling with the humbucker(s).

13. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    CV Telecaster

14. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Here are the bare BASICS. Lot's of other options exist.

Fender Telecaster - Heavy guitars with lots of sustain, smaller fretboard radius, single coil pickups can pickup hum but have a distinctive sound. Recommend for country and rock.

Fender Stratocaster - Light very comfortable guitar, larger fretboard radius, single coil pickups will pickup hum. Spring system and tremolo bar, lots of folks put a block of wood or similar in the back to disable the tremolo if they don't use it. Position 2 and 4 of the 5 position pickup selector runs two pickups out of phase for hum cancellation, and produces a "country twang" type of sound. Recommended for country and rock.

Gibson Les Paul - Heavy guitars with lots of sustain, humbucker pickups. Recommend for rock.

Gibson SG - Light comfortable guitar, humbucker pickups. Recommend for rock.

Paul Reed Smith - Best known boutique guitar, many configs.

Hollowbody guitars (Gibson ES/Gretch) - Lots of tonal character. Thy tend to feedback at high volume levels, so not recommended for rock - although often seen in rockibilly. Recommend for jazz and country.

Semi-hollowbody guitar - compromise to get the tonal character of hollowbody at higher volume levels. Recommend for all styles. Many brands.

I really like the combination of style, quality, sound and value from Schecter guitars, although certainly the Gibsons, Fenders, and PRS are the benchmark guitars.

15. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with an Epiphone guitar. There was a thread a while back about Epi/Gibson and Squier/Fender. The general conclusion was that Epiphone makes better guitars and Squier makes better basses. I own an Epi Tom DeLonge ES-333 and it's a great guitar. It's not versatile. But that's because it's made not to be. It's built well and it came stock with a Gibson pickup, not a cheap one.

I also own a Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline deluxe. It's also a great guitar. I think you couldn't go wrong getting a Fender MIM Strat with the HSS configuration and then getting a good setup. Strats are very comfortable and with that pickup configuration it's versatile too.

16. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Another vote for the Schecter, specifically the 006 Elite. They are discontinued, and not tremendously easy to find, but the best guitar for the money I have owned, which includes USA Strats, Les Pauls, etc. Playability, sound, versatility, etc. Some years were hard tails, but I like the string through better.

You can pick up the 006 Elite for $200 to $400 on ebay if you are fortunate.

Don't waste time or money on the 006 Deluxe. It is nowhere near the 006 Elite.

17. doctormoose87

doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    I've always found the epi necks to be quite cramped compared to a fender neck, maybe that just me :s Prs though ummmm

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd go with a used MIM strat or tele

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A 24 3/4" scale guitar like a Gibson compared to a 25 1/2" Fender (or whatever) feels crowded to me, just something to keep in mind since you mention it in the OP.

Definitely go and try everything you can. To get a very quick idea of available scale lengths, grab a Gibson (24 3/4"), a Fender (25 1/2"), and a PRS (25") just to see how they fell and narrow it down from there.

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Paul Reed Smith has many guitars in that price range that kill anything else in that same price range. Seriously.