Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar repair question.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jongor, Aug 28, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    My son plays guitar, and somehow the bridge ground wire on his Epiphone Les Paul broke, or maybe it wasn't ever there.

I've never tried to remove or disassemble a Les Paul type bridge, does anyone know how to do this? Or how a Les paul bridge comes apart, so I can re-thread the ground wire.

How is the ground wire attached to the bridge?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tune-O-Matic bridges screw into inserts in the wood, which are usually just fitted in there, not screwed in. A lot of times they will pop right out when you pull on them. The ground wire goes from the electronics into a tiny hole in the cavity and up to the bridge insert nearest the controls, and I believe all you have to do is strip a tiny bit of insulation off and stick the insert over it and you should be good to go. been a long time since I messed with a Gibson, but that's how I remember them working.

3. Do your son a favor and leave the ground wire to the bridge detached. Though this circuit can aid in keeping the guitar signal quiet, it can also lead to electrocution in the right circumstances. Those circumstances are MUCH more common than one might believe them to be and even though they can be easily detected with the aid of circuit testers, they often aren't and the results can be devastating. The instrument is not a "double insulated" device where such grounding would be useful AND safe.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Let me just add to Hambone's suggestion that you can have no bridge ground and no hum if you have the guitar fully shielded with a star ground system. Otherwise the bridge must be grounded to stop hum.

5. Lyle's right - I only gave you the scary half of the equation :rolleyes:

Google "star grounding" for some guitar sites like "guitar electronics" that will explain this whole thing in detail. It's good to know and good to pass on to friends you like.