1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GUITAR RIG 3??? ANY THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcarruth20, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jcarruth20

jcarruth20

Aug 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    Brubaker / Tec Amp / Pavel / R.COCCO / Mono Bag
    I have a warwick stage 1 and custom shop brubaker basses. I did have Line 6 bass pod rack setup but did not use it much. Was looking into the Guitar Rig 3 with either foot pedal board or the interface module. Is this worth going for or not?

Any comments would help.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I like mine quite a lot. But, like a lot of folks, I kind of resist taking a laptop to a bar, so I still have a set of pedals which seems kind of wasteful, but there it is.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I've been using Guitar Rig since Guitar Rig 1, 3 is a quantum leap. I use a laptop live all the time, couldn't live without it to be honest.
    Try the demo it's free, but make sure you use a decent sound card not the on-board one. I had issues with Rig Kontrol so I went with a M-audio firewire card that I like better, also I use an FCB1010 to control it. I preferred the switching although the size is bigger.

Keep the laptop behind you if you are concerned for it's safety in bars, I got a sliding shelf to hold it in my rack. To be honest using a laptop is no riskier than using a tube amp. IMHO of course.
    Dirk

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Well, yeah, I guess. It's certainly a "me" issue, not an everyone issue. For me, my laptop has a whole lot of stuff on it so that a total loss would be catastrophic, and not just to my music rig. If I had a dedicated music computer, I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

I wouldn't think twice about laptopping an art opening or a museum gig (I do those once in a while). But a bar: maybe not.

As far as I've been able to tell, there's only really one thing I'd like to do that I can't in GR3 which is have a hold switch on a delay. Pretty minor (although easily fixed). I suspect with MIDI, you could rig this up. Rig control doesn't seem to allow multiple commands to a switch in a straightforward way (you can save snapshots, but it isn't quite the same...).

But Rig Control is small and cute and well-integrated.

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Don't expect much in terms of bass amp modeling from GR3, but the effects sure are nice!

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMO, the Ampeg SVT modeling sounds much better on GR3 (at least, in the demo) than the Line 6 equivalent. But then again, GR3 seems to actually be modeling the SVT-4 PRO.

But there are some problems: There is only one bass model and a small selection of bass-specific cabs (IIRC, you can use guitar cabs with it, too). Plus, I'd be paranoid about gigging with a laptop...

The effects are great, though, and the parameters you can play with for your sound (mic voicing, placement, adding "envelope" response to effect knobs, etc.) are broad and incredibly flexible overall. You can do some really weird and unusual stuff if you wanted to.

7. me too. i know the soul of computers, they crash when you need them the most:ninja:

8. Pakko

Pakko

Aug 31, 2008
    I'm wondering if the "Full" version of the software (Guitar Rig 3 Software Edition) is worth it for a Bass Player.

The XE edition has the same Bass Amp as the Full version so are the added effects worth the $199 extra (for a bass player). ??

9. Delta T

Delta T

Oct 3, 2008
    A nice thing about using software like GR3, IK Multimedia Amplitube and SVX, etc., is that you don't have to just use the bass amp simulations. Try using a Marshall simulation or a Tweed - you won't blow the amp out. I've played (at low volumes) thru a number of guitar amps and have found that a lot of them have a pretty decent tone...it's when you try to fill the room that the amp looses it. With software it's not an issue.

I have GR3 but have not taken it out on gigs - yet. I have a rack mount PC that is mounted in a Gator roll-about rack that has the pop-up top (usually for a mixer) that I have mounted a 17" LCD in (will change it eventually to a 19"). The problem is that it is very bulky - BUT I can put my other gear in it as well - bass preamp, monitor eq's, etc... perhaps even the power amp but that might make it weigh too much.

I would love to use a laptop but it's just not in the finances for now...

Dave

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I find it useful for banging around the office with, but I wouldn't use it to play live. The bass section is pretty anemic, and the stock sounds are very bland. I've come up with some cool sounding presets using a lot of shelving and parametric EQs, but this product is really geared toward guitar players.

11. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    guitar rig 3 is great for messing around with weird sounds, but for plug and play and a very well emulated ampeg tone its got to be IK Multimedia AMPEG SVX

the Ampeg SVX software has much better latency and sound quality IMO, not as many wacky FX but if you just want to roll the b-lines out .....

one down side could be the midi assignment of SVX though, not so sure about the side of things personally

but I use my real pedals in front of it anyways

12. I agree with pulse, i have both gr3 and ampeg svx, and for bass, the ampeg is so much better.

Though the effects are that great on the the ampeg svx, but like pulse, i use my own:)