1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Rig 3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Feb 27, 2008.

1. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone have much use with this? im Trying to figure out if its worth purchasing. Does it work well live? thats the main thing. And also, are the sounds usable for bass or moreso for guitar?

2. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    I've tried Guitar Rig 3 and found the bass patches in this one to sound exponentially better than the ones in version 2. They have more thickness to them. I can't comment about using it live but I will say that no matter how smoothly it works with your particular system, the thought of playing live with your bass signal going through a laptop scares the hell out of me. I don't care how reliable your laptop is, it is still a computer and they tend to have issues from time to time.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I wouldn't even consider using it live. Just my two cents. If you can pull it off, more power to ya.

3. Hmm, interesting. Ive read an excert stating that the bass models hadnt been altered at all. Infact, other than a difference in the layout/visual design use of the program, the only difference to the models was the addition of the new stuff.

If you want good bass sounds, Ampeg SVX is the way to go IMO.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Download the demo here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=gr3demo&L=1&ftu=84888f0dbc765e5

The real deal comes with a pedal controller with built in audio interface, so you'll then need a way of plugging your bass into your PC if you don't already. Ideally a decent soundcard with an instrument input, or you can make do with a built in sound card for testing it out. For this you'll need an adapter to turn a large jack plug into a mini one, and use the ASIO4ALL drivers to improve performace and you should be able to get a useable latency of about 10ms.

The software's very flexible, you can set up multiple amps with different fx on each, and you can do crazy things like make any effect parameter be controlled by the volume of your signal, or LFOs, etc. There's an SVT model in there that sounds ok, but hard to compare it to a real cranked amp in my bedroom!

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  6. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    im not worried much about the models than the effects. thats what i would be using it for. and i have a mac i shoudlnt have a problem. ive never had one single problem with my mac yet and ive had it two years, never shut down or anything. im pretty sure it can handle anything thrown at it

7. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    is ampeg svx that much better than guitar rig 3?

8. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    anybody else?

9. There are ways you can get GR3 without paying...

10. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I must say yep!

Despite I don't like the Fx on SVX it sounds way better for live playing than any other Plug-in I have.

My favorites:
    Ampeg SVX
    Amplitube 2
    Sans Amp (Plug-in)
    Guitar Amp Pro (Logic)
    Guitar Rig 3

I use to play on a gig with no amps on stage using in-ears monitors and the SVX just great in this situation.

11. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    no way!

you used a ampeg svx for live use? did you go from the main outs of your interface straight into the board?