1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Scale Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I would like to hear what these basses - or any acoustic bass - sounds like with an internal mic as opposed to the piezo pickup. Has anyone tried that?

2. Does anyone have or used an Ortega D-Walker? I like the design, but was hoping someone has real world experience with one to give me an idea on quality, etc.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's definitely someone here with a DWalker. Can't remember who at this moment? If you scan this thread, the sub short thread, and the Ibanez PNB14E... thread, you will find the person. He actually had it for sale.
    From what I have read, it is a high quality build. I'm tempted to get one myself. [small detail in lack of funds]

4. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I tried the new Guild mini jumbo bass the other day. I preferred it to the baby Taylor and it's $100 less.

SBassman likes this.
  5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes. And I shouldn't hear it, because I want more of these basses. I LOVE my Ibanez. I have been known to sleep with it next to me. :)

6. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    The Ibanez is just as good as the snotty basses I mentioned. I've tried all three.
    Acoustic bass is my new obsession.
    I was playing along with Dirty Lowdown on my Boulder Creek And just for kicks I tried the bassline on Upright.
    Don't try it!

SBassman likes this.
  7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Snotty basses. That made me laugh. :)

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Me too. I would have never expected it for me, but I am enjoying this parlor bass so much. Just love it.

9. Markzts

Markzts

Aug 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    I played the Taylor GS mini as well as the Ibanez PNB14E at my local guitar center. The fun factor of just playing with no amp/heaphones/electrical stuff is great and the size is better. I never picked up a traditional 34" acoustic bass that i liked to play, but these guitar sized ones got me intrested, so.....

It's a used Cort AF510 concert sized guitar that I got used for $80 and after some quick mods I installed the La Bella CB40 strings on it. They haven't settled in yet, but for a little over $100, I have my own mini bass. My wife was trying to read last night upstairs and politely asked me how much longer I was going to be playing...:bassist:

CortAF510_bass_conversion.

HaphAsSard and BAG like this.
  10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Him. Never thought of that. Using the 6 string set with a 6 string acoustic Is that what you did? Did the E go on the regular tuner?

11. Markzts

Markzts

Aug 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    It's a four string set. The E is on the second tuner instead of the first ( using tuners 2,3,4,6 for EADG ). For now, it's just the stock guitar tuners, but I would drill it out for bass tuners someday....

12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i played the PNB14E at guitar center yesterday. oddly, i tried it sort of like a standup with the bottom on a padded stool, angling it to taste, and i found it was quite, quite satisfying to play. in fact, it's on my "to get" list, right behind the smallguitars guitar.

thanks for the url to those strings - i really liked 'em, and they'll be in my future. i do like roundwounds, too, but those flats felt really nice.

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    I'm such a fan of these basses, I "made" my own from a Craigslist mess... Epiphone acoustic guitar and some hardware (including some non-guitar stuff) makes for a 25.25 scale acoustic bass with a tailpiece and cut-down regular strings of your choice. :)
    Recommended.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. At Sam Ash right now and found another guitar scale acoustic bass. It's a Michael Kelly Sojourn 4K. Thought they stopped making them . Fushman Presys II and Sonicore Pickup. Gigbag included for $399. It also has a string through bridge instead of pegs/pins. Very nice looking in person and sounded nice unplugged and through a Hartke 50 acoustic guitar amp. This might be the one I get! Anyone have this one and can comment? Ir even comment on this brand?

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I had a loaner for a while. Thought it was a very nice build. I, too, thought they were discontinued. Never heard of the 4K. If they are back in production, I will consider getting one.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah - that's definitely a resumption with a twist. The original was not called a 4K.

Sojourn 4K Acoustic Travel Bass

I see it also comes with the DAddario strings - which didn't exist a few years ago when it first came out.

I remember the electronics being nice - even string to string volume.

MK Sojourn 4K Bass.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018 at 7:01 PM
  17. To me..it looks nicer than the original! Not sure on how they compare sound wise. Strings should not be an issue, strings have been made for the OBU-22 with a very similar scale.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    2 Possible string alternatives on the horizon:

1. An idea smacked me upside the head yesterday, and the strings are on order. This would be a set of strings very similar in gauge to the stock strings - but nickel instead of phosphor bronze. If the *experiment* works, these strings will be cut-able and mountable without imploding. Strings arrive Thursday, experiment results somewhere between Thursday and Saturday.

2. I have opened dialog with a string manufacturer about a special, very different string for these basses. I haven't seen it, haven't played it, but I'm told it is happening. I won't be able to get more info from the company for about 10 days or so because they are on the road, but, I'm very excited about the possibility.

To be continued. Tell your Guitar Scale Acoustic Bass loving friends to get subscribed to this thread so that they don't miss any of the info coming. :)

MakoMan likes this.
  19. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    I have an ortega d Walker mini. Very good quality in my opinion. Did not like stock strings and went to daddario. Mine is for sale. I like a shorter scale.

20. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I'm thinking of ponying up for the little fretless Ibanez ($500), but I would definitely want to string it with flatwounds. I'm wondering if the LaBella/Microbass flats would have too much tension for it. Do they have adjustable truss rods? As it is fretless, I'm not so concerned with intonation issues.

AVNB1FE_BV_1X_01.