1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar shops in New York City.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bfonf, Apr 11, 2006.

1. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    I'm in New York for a couple of days and I want to visit some stores. I've already been down to 48th street and seen Rudy's, Manny's, Sam Ash, etc. Any other good ones you guys know of?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Check out the Sadowsky shop. :)

And welcome to TB!

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I was there a couple of months ago and checked out the Guitar Center at Union Square. Not half bad I guess...

4. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    Oooo where is the Sadowsky shop?

EDIT: Oh and thank you for the welcome.

5. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
  6. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Ludlow Guitars is very near Guitar Man in the Lower East Side. Unless you have a lot of extra time on your hands, I would go elsewhere since they're not very friendly and their selection is weak.

Some more:
    http://www.30thstreetguitars.com/
    http://www.rivingtonguitars.com/
    Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island is amazing but they don't have much by way of basses.

7. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    Thanks very much. I'll take a look at those websites. My hotel is between 50th and 51st on Madison so the guitar boutique is within my walking range. And I'm sure on some of my other things I'll have to do I'll be able to swing by one or two other shops.

I was actually just at Rudy's earlier today and got to check out their stuff. I played a Ritter for the first time, which was a very eyeopening experience. Those things are amazing, especially with the LEDs in the fretboard.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, please keep 'em coming!

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    when are you going? I'm going to be in town Wed-Sat because my highschool is playing at Carnegie hall. I'm also interested in looking at some of ths shops to kill some time, but I think some are too far away.

Greg

9. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    Between now and Saturday.

10. We should really create a single list and sticky it at the top of basses.

11. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sadowsky is just over the river in Brooklyn, very easy to get to from where you're staying. Here are the directions:
    http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_directions.html

To get the F train, just walk east to 6th Avenue (aka "Avenue of the Americas"). The subway station is right under Radio City Music Hall. You can get the F there and take it right within a couple of blocks of the shop. Two bucks, and it shouldn't take more than half an hour.

If it's a nice day, you can walk back to Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge.

12. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Does Sadowsky still allow just anyone to look at their shop?
    Does Fodera?

I heard that they were stopping tours as they were getting too bogged down.

13. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't know about Fodera, but Sadowsky's website still says:

"If you have the opportunity, we invite you to visit our shop in Brooklyn, NY. You will be able to try instruments in our private soundroom, and have all your questions answered."

and i'm pretty sure the policy hasn't changed. Pretty much all the basses you see on the "in stock" page are hanging on the wall in the soundroom, and there are several different, cool rigs to play through.

14. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
  15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  16. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    The guys at Fodera are cool with stopping by but don't expect to sit down with Vinny and shoot the youknowwhat if you show up unannounced. If you give them a few days notice they will appreciate it. The first time I went I called them a day ahead and it was fine. Joey took the time to show me around and let me look at some flitches and some basses in progress even though he knew I wasn't there to order a new bass. Very cool!

I guess you could call it a tour. When I think of a tour I think of the time I went through the Corona factory in Mexico City. That's a tour! Fodera's shop is more modest than that. :smug: Anyway, I left my bass there for a couple of days to have the frets leveled. I thought they would charge me but they did it for free since I had just bought a used Fodera!

If you have some time it's a great place to stop. Plus, it's just above the Epifani shop! It's sorta far out (South) in Brooklyn. You take the D/M/N/R to 36th St. Then you walk NW under the BQE/Gowanus Expy to the shop at 68 34th St b'w 2nd and 3rd Av. Usually takes me about 45 minutes from the LES.

17. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    30th st Guitars, between 7th and 8th avenues, has a good selection of used stuff, including some vintage Fenders.

18. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    and Umanovs is in the West Village, not the LES - the Lower East Side, very different places, but becoming more similar everyday.

19. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Oops.

20. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Thanks, I just did over lunch. He makes some very nice basses, at good prices too. I liked them better than Pensa's.