Guitar shows: worth the price of admission?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Since I am one of the unwashed masses not worthy or connected enough to get into NAMM, as a runner-up, there is a so-called "Texas Guitar Show" in Orange County the same weekend. Haven't been to one of these. It's $10 to get in and I assume the following:

1. There will be some cool dealers, but probably more sharks. The guitars will be marked way the &$%# up, right?

2. It's represented as a buy, sell trade kind of deal but if I wanted to trade, they would want to pay me wholesale for my guitar and charge retail or more for theirs, correct?

3. So is it worth even bothering? Any insight?
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've been to one (in Detroit) and I enjoyed myself even though I wasn't there to buy.

Regarding prices, at this one they were mostly fairly high at the beginning of the day (at a guess, probably close to store list price) but a lot of dealers cut their prices heavily towards the end of the day, probably because they didn't want to haul all their stuff back.

I'd probably be a bit wary of any trade offers made there, as most stores seem to lowball you anyway... but I guess you never know. You might find exactly what it is you're looking for.

I'd say it's definitely worth going to, especially if you're looking to buy.