Guitar Slides/superCool Wow Wow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    I know this probably doesn't belong here so help a guy out and send it where it belongs... I havn't been to talkbass since 12-05-2003 wow its been awhile.

OK the whole point of my thread.
    Any guitar players out there what are YOUR favorite guitar slides?
    What kind of guitar do YOU play slide guitar on?
    If acoustic what type of music do you play with it?
    If electric what kind of setup do you use with it and what type of music do you play with it?
    and last, if you didn't tell me for the first question what manufacturer made your favorite slide... like Dunlop or big heart then please let me know. AND who do you think has the best selection of guitar slides online... etc?

I know those are wierd questions but basically i play bass and every now and then i like to venture into the guitar world and right now i have a slide and an acoustic and an electric guitar but... i don't know if its me but i can't seem to get much out of it except pointless noises that amuse me for 10 minutes.... any help is appreciated.... OH and before i forget if any of you know a good way to make slides, like pyrex slides or metal ones that information would be appreciated.(MAking glass bottle and ceramic slides i have a good idea of how to do it)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I venture over to guitar world every once in a while, and my best advice, try a guitar site :)

Moved to misc.
  3. yes...a guitar site would be better...

butm since you asked, i will tell you that i like glass slides, better and metal. i think it sounds a little better...maybe its just a placebo...
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I don't think these are weird questions at all.
    I LOVE slide guitar.
    I have a Fender fr48 resonator all steel body, kind of "national" type clone.
    For electric I use a De Armond m76 with slightly high action.
    Usually play in open "D" tuning.
    Slides are a matter of personal preference, I have, I guess 20 or more but my all time favorite is one that I made from the neck of a 100 year old wine bottle!

Try using OPEN tuning, I'd suggest open "d" as it's Kinder on the neck. (DADF#AD)
    Noodle around 5th 7th and 12th frets .... you'll soon be on your way!