guitar smell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by J4KO, May 20, 2005.

1. LOL i know this sounds weird but i recently bought a bass on ebay... anyways it has an annoying smell and is there a way to get rid of it without damaging the bass? thanks :D
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Clean it.

Realistically, what does it smell like?
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    man, if your bass smells like a guitar, that could tottally destroy your groove vibes!!! ;)

All I can think of is polishing it up and letting it air out.
  4. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Keep it out in the open (not in the case) as long as you can for as many months as you can until the smell is gone (or tolerable). You might also look for a little sack of baking soda type odor absorbing thing to put in the case.
  5. dunno what it smells like but my friend said it smelled like a grandma :eyebrow:

6. ive tried cleaning it already with some soap water and towel but the smell doesnt go away
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What was he doing smelling your grandma?
  8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Orange Glo is supposed to be safe on wood, and smells like - you guessed it, Oranges. It's made of citrus oil.

It's a cleaner, and it'll probably help mask any odors you got there.
  9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I got an avatar 112 on ebay and it arrived in fantastic condition, but REEKED of oregano and basil. Even a few months afterwards, I can still get a good whiff of it when I put my nose to the porthole. A guitar should be considerably easier to clean, as it's not carpeted, so take it apart and wipe it down.
  10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...but that ain't oregano and basil. It's probably more like something grown in Hawaii, Columbia, or Thailand. :D
  11. war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    It's been 5 years, any update on the Smell?
  12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Those dryer sheets that people use for clothes, and makes them smell nice. They work on a bass, too! Rub, and polish the finish with it.
  13. I don't think it was oregano :cool:
  14. Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    I bought a old 70's pbass and wow what a odd odour it has. Smelled vintage if ya know what I mean - like a old car etc. I polished it a lot and will try some frebreeze on it. Might take away some mojo though;)
  15. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    KC, MO
    I bought a used MIA P probably 5 years ago and everytime I open the case, I get a whiff of something weird...smells a little like antifreeze IMO. Oh well, still plays great!
  16. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Only issue I ever had with a smelly bass was a Cort Curbow. That luthite body gave off some serious toxic stench! I had to get rid of it after only a couple months.
  17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

ohhhhh, put your nose to the poorrtt-hole.
    0ohh, OK.
    Yeah, I guess you would get a whiff of something doing that.

A good wipe always helps...if you remember to do it. :atoz:
  18. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Lemmon oil would be safe and smells good.

If you have a case that you are trying to get the smell out of, you can throw some baking soda in it for a few days then blow it out with an air gun. Would make a hell of a mess though haha