Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Solos Vs Bass Solos!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi! i want YOU to tell me RIGHT NOW! which is best:
    1)GUITAR SOLOS
    2)BASS SOLOS

I personally find Bass solos exciting, not because i´m a bassist, is just that bass can be soloed with so many techniques...you can do a slap solo, tapping solo, plucking solo, harmonic solo, etc.
    Of course Guitar has other techniques, but i think guitar solos are way too used...hearing all those plain, horrible, musical masturbation of 80's guitar players made me sick (of course some were good).
    Also Bass solos are kind of new...maybe is just a trend!! :D

ok that´s my opinion

Dave C

PS: after 11 times of using the word "solo" it kinda loses it's meaning :)

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, like you, I find bass solos better. Bass solos usually have a more funky rhythm, while guitar solos are USUALLY just a good demonstration of a guitarists LACK of skill (not in certain cases [i.e. Hendrix, etc.]). Guitar solos get old to me, but I have heard TONS of bass solos and they still don't get old.

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I also think bass solos are cooler...maybe because I don´t hear them as often...

4. Bass2222

Bass2222

Sep 22, 2000
    Fundamentally, it makes no difference what the instrument is. I've heard single drum conga solos that could blow your mind just as well as any rippin' bass OR guitat solo.

5. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Bass solos definitely, as long as it's not like the main thing. I love regular bass solos, but am known to really mark out for a nice quiet solo at the same volume as the rest of the riff...but whatever...

6. Personally, and this is me, I would prefer to listen to a Hendrix solo rather than a Jeff Berlin solo, or whatever. It all depends who it is. I'd rather hear a Jaco solo than a Yngwie Malmsteen solo. I'd rather hear a Paul Chambers solo than a Steve Vai solo. It's all about whose soloing, I like emotional, melodic solos that evoke some kind of emotion rather than some fast, un-hummable solo.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think all members of a band should be allowed to shine. That's why I like jazz, because their are everything from drum solo's to vocal solo's using scat.

8. definitely guitar solos. i think some bass solos are phenomenal, but more in a "wow, wish i could do that" sense than a "wow, that's beautiful and emotive and helps the song" sense. sorry guys.

9. I find solos from bassists that I've never heard before quite exciting. You hear their style in the songs but when they solo, it's seems they're always very different from all of the other bassists I've heard. It's just a glimpse of how hard the guy has worked on his craft.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    As a "solo hound" who will take a solo every cahnce he gets, I do have to say that there are plenty of songs my band does that just don't really *want* a bass solo. The type of groove going on, the rhythm guitarist's take on it, my skill level, and the vibe in the room at the time can all contribute to a decision to lay back and let the guitarists take a particular tune. Or to jump in and stomp on the lead guy. :D

Our band ( http://www.mp3.com/muellergroup ) is all original instrumentals, so there's plenty of freedom to make a tune whatever we want it to be. There are tunes where I usually do not solo in which, on a particular night, I might suddenly feel I have a solo to contribute. There are also songs in which I usually solo, but there are nights I just am not feeling it for some reason and I stay out. I have also *had to* play the melody out when someone breaks a string or has a technical problem. Those "opportunities" aren't always quite as much fun, but it can be a shot in the arm when things are getting commonplace.

All of that having been said, I don't think it's really possible to say that either bass solos or guitar solos are, as a group, inherently "better". As always, it's a matter of opinion and taste. I'm just lucky enough to be in a band where my decision to solo (or not) is always welcome.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree totally with this - I go along to my local Jazz club every Friday night and it's great to hear everybody get a chance to solo and put their ideas across - it's always worth going as it's never the same and it's also nice that everybody is traated the same - as in everyone is respected as a musician and their "role" isn't limited to just being supportive.

Going back to the original question I think that a lot of guitarits have a lot to offer and teach us as Bassists and others not so much. I bought the Vertu album and every Stanley Clarke bass solo is wonderful - melodic, rhythmic and inventive - whereas every guitar solo on the album just sets my teeth on edge!

Aa a bass player, I think my ears are "tuned" to listening out for bass and learning about this from everything I listen to, so I think that as a bass player, I'm naturally biased towards liking bass solos, whether on upright or electric, whereas the majority of electric guitar solos are grating on my ears - anything with ditortion turns me right off.

But I do like acoustic guitar or more natural sounds. Martin Taylor is a wonderful guitarist, who (as many can) plays bass lines simultaneously to chords and a lead line. However, my view is that if I liked guitar solos better than bass, then I would play guitar. Otherwise, my view is that I would just be frustrated all the time. Having said that however, doesn't mean I like guitar solos less than bass solos - but really you can't generalise that widely.

12. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    new bass solos are cool, I use to hate those old days when everybody used quiet down to hear the bass fart a couple of notes.

I also love short little solo-like"bass riffs" here and there groving with the drummer

Guitar solos are old news.

What about tenor bass solos, like V. wooten "MOre love"? :confused:

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to feel that a lot of guitarists are just repeating "cliches" and licks that you have heard hundreds of times before; almost like it's expected of them. Whereas bass players don't have all this burden of history - guitar players from Hendrix, Clapton, Page etc - weighing them down. But as I said this is a simplification and if you look hard there certainly are guitarists with fresh ideas, who keep re-inventing their style - like John Scofield, to name but one. But certainly in rock/pop, the guitarists' solos tend to be lacking in originality, whereas bass solos are often more interesting.

14. For me its more about the soloist than what insturment is being played. I mean, someone like Sonny Rollins could play a kazoo and still probably blow away most cats.