Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar solos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 30, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Looks like I'm going to doing one of the one things I truly hate in life....playing the guitar. One of my old, old bands may be reuniting for Spring Break for a few shows. Its a long story, but I am playing lead guitar for this. And I got a question. How in the hell do you do a guitar solo. I don't even know where to begin. So maybe so pointers using some bass terms would help.

2. Ummm,try to remember to stay within the spotlight. make sure your hair is done right.... lol I cannot help you really mate cause i'm not a guitarist but many solos contain pull offs. Pull out some tapping etc.

Hell i dunno. feel sorry for you. :p

Merls

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Bend a lot of notes and spend some time in front of the mirror getting your grimaces down.

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    - Up the scale the fastest you can
    - Down the scane the fastest you can (Bend a lot / Hammer on a lot)
    - Try to pull out some articificial harmonics
    - A little taping
    - A little noise/larsen with vibratos
    - pause
    - redo everything said above in another mode
    Oosp, very important, don't forget to sweat, make funny faces (pretending to suffer), look at the sky while bending, stomp your foot, move backward and forward, headbang, cry, use your teeth, use your left hand from ABOVE the neck, pretend to change your onboard EQing/Volume knobs at least 3 times during the solo, switch pickups 2 times, press on at least 4 different stomp boxes, use a Wha, make sure you are out of the beat, if there's another guitarist you know in the public : look at him right in the eyes thinking "You see, I'm better than you ...", if you fumble somewhere : play loud distording chords with "Townsend like" arms rolling, jumb, walk the "Angus/Chuck Berry" way, get on your knees, roll on the floor, pretend to make love to your guitar, put it on fire, break it against the drum set, footkick your amp(s), throw the remains of your guitar to the audience then stage dive.
    That should do it.
    :D

5. If you have a mullet then you've mastered half of it!

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    or a poodle perm.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pentatonic scales, man. Lots and lots of pentatonic scales.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just curious... why do you "Hate" playing guitar? There's nothing inherently wrong with the instrument.

and why does the word "hate" come up so often in your posts?

Will C.:cool:

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just play "Modern Rock" and "Grunge" - Those styles of music don't have guitar solos. ;)

10. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Big Wheel : I don't hate playing guitar at all. In fact, I also play guitar a little.
    I was just goofing around.