Guitar Stand For Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbwdog, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Does anybody here know of a good stand that accommodates the " custom contured body" of a J bass? As you know they will not stand up straight on most stands and it's one of those little things that drive me crazy. I always worry about it slipping or being knocked off especially in a crowded stage situation.

By the way, I just received a great stand that I highly recommend for more symmetrical body shapes of basses and guitars.
    This stand is very well made and folds up like a dream, but the support rests don't swivel making it less useful for a Jazz body bass. Please help if you have any suggestions.
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

get an Ultimate tripod stand. You hang the bass by the headstock instead of it resting on the bottom side of the body.

3. Hi Rob, I've seen those but was hoping for something that would fold up a little more compactly. Does the bass touch the floor or is it suspended off the floor?...EW
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

They are awesome. You can get one online from Sam ash or musicians friend. The bass hangs from the headstock and the back of it rests against part of the tripod which has a nice soft padding. The top part is adjustable to accomodate any length guitar or bass. I extend mine all the way. Its compact. Folds up in 5 seconds, ends up being very small and light to carry.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
  6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1 Best stand and durable. Works for EVERY bass you have. Never had one fall during a gig:D
  8. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I like those-- our guitar player has the "double" model-- but I don't think it'd work with my headless bass? Not thread jacking here, but any suggestions for a stand for that one?
  9. bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    OK - stupid question. Does hanging the bass by the headstock put unneeded stress on the neck? I've always wondered if stores hanging instruments on the walls by the headstock (almost the same as these stands) added to neck bow or weakness at the headstock.
  10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    How do you know if the padding on your stand is not "lacquer friendly"?
  11. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    In a word, I think, no. It'd take lot more stress than the weight of the bass to cause neck problems, especially when it's pulling in the direction of the neck (as opposed to, let's say an 8 lb weight placed on the front or back of the neck when the bass is horizontal).
  12. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Ooh! Now that *is* a good question! I've heard of some stuff like that will react with a lacquer finish. That'd be a bad day!
  13. +3

Awesome stand, very good stayable and sturdy.

here are some pic's of mine!

Bass On

Bass Off

Folded Up
  14. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The orange rubber ones are generally not laquer friendly, but the foamy ones generally are.
  15. Dave,

My Jazz Bass has lacquer all over my neck, my stand has no problems with that... works like a charm! :hyper:
  16. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Another vote for the Ultimate GS-100. I have a Hercules auto-grab, a couple of Ultimates, a couple of those little A-frame types, and some standard $10 GC stands, but the Ultimate is definitely the one I use the most. As Bikeplate noted, it's very sturdy, set-up and break-down are incredibly quick and easy the folded size is really very compact (I carry it in an old laptop bag with cords, DI box, etc. -- though it does stick out a couple of inches), and the soft padding against the back of the bass is similar to the sort of fabric you'd find on the inside of a bass case. One other advantage for folks who play Sadowskys is that those fuzzy "condoms" Roger supplies with his basses fit very nicely over the top holder of the bass (from which the bass hangs), thereby eliminating any and all concerns about finish damage.

The Hercules is a nice sturdy stand as well, but it's not as easy to set up or take down as the Ultimate, and the auto-grab feature makes it impossible to use the Sadowsky fuzzy thingy. IIRC, the Hercules is also a bit more expensive than the Ultimate.
  17. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    If the lacquer comes off..., it's not.

18. +1... wonderful stand... stable, and it works wonderfully on any bass... even an MTD with that rather unusual placement of the cord input. Als, they make a big deal on the site about the padding being safe for the finishes mentioned above.
  19. You gotta be kidding me, the Ultimate tripod folds up incredibly! It's great.