Guitar Stand For Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WannaJazz, Sep 3, 2010.

1. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    Seems like there is about a coupl'a bazillion Jazz Bass owners here. What kind of guitar stand do you find best, considering the offset body?

2. Pretty much all guitar stands will work for all basses and guitars.

3. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    I have a couple of Hamilton KB38 stands - the basses hang from the stand rather than sitting on the stand. Excellent IMHO. There are also other brands using a similar design.

4. I for one know what you're' talking about. Jazz basses don't sit square in the lower yoke very well and they slide off the stand.

I cured that by wrapping surgical foam over the arms of the stand and some Ty-Wraps and I'm good for all my J-basses.

Even the hanging stands take a Jazz bass rather badly too - the flanged part of the head, where it gets larger, isn't equal on both sides of the head above the top nut either and they aren't happy holding a Jazz.

5. The Hercules Guitar stand handles my jazzes safely everytime. They are made well and very sturdy.

stand.jpg

6. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    My Jag (jazzish in shape) hangs nicely from my Ultimate GS-1000. Find it here. Plus, I get the added benefit of not worrying about the cable and strap getting in the way.

7. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Um... is this a trick question? I just use a regular guitar stand. I even use a regular stand for my Uno, which has an even more extreme curve on the bottom.

8. Tasi

Tasi

Sep 4, 2010
    Please review the CUP.

Either way for sale items are not allowed.

9. Hercules.

10. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I have two A-frame stands I bought at Musician's Friend,(Musician's Gear, IIRC) which are similar, the bottom arms are slightly different, on one they are curved, the other's have straight tubing at right angles. They both hold my Jazzes just fine, the one with the curved arms requires just a little extra futzing to get it right, that's all.

11. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    Yeah, I was looking for a brand that people found useful for the contours of a Jazz Bass, like Sufer Joe pointed out. I read some bad reviews on the Hercules brand, so I thought I would ask for some user tested recommmendations. Thanks for the replies.

Evil Funk likes this.
  12. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    That's where a String Swing wall hanger comes in handy (for in-home use ayway), the yoke that holds the head pivots to accomodate asymmetrical headstocks like a Fender's. As I said, I find a simple a-frame type stand without a neck holder useful for Jazzes.
    PS. I forgot to mention in my earlier post, about the Musician's Gear A-frame stand with the curved arms - I was able to bend one of the arms a bit to accommodate the Jazz a little easier. I doubt that was intended by the manufacturer, fortunately, nothing broke.

13. I buy the cheapest stands possible and have never had a problem with the body sliding off....

14. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I use a run of the mill guitar stand. I have a hanging stand which I don't use for it. I don't like the way the headstock fits into it. Just me though.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  16. I bought a Herc stand, and did not trust it with the Jazz bass lower bout shape. Kinda wonky, as noted above.

After staring at it for a few hours, I moved the fold out arm on the right side (looking from front) to the bottom of the right side rail, instead of the top.

I had to bend the arm down a bit, which was not easy as these puppies are made of Real steel. I also attached a small piece of black tight foam rubber to the top of the right side rail, with a pair of cable ties.

The bass now sits up proud and straight, and the stand still folds up and fits in the guitar case. I managed this last fall, but it only occurred to me today that someone else ought to know about this.

Stay warm folks.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Ultimate guitar stand. Works like a charm, and the asymmetricality of the headstock doesn't matter. It also folds up smaller than any other stand I know of.

I have a Hercules too, and a Jazz or any other Fender will hang in it just fine. The flip-down arms keep the instrument secure.

UltimateGS-100.jpg

18. The Ultimate will let a Fender Telecaster head go right through it though.

My buddy slipped his Tele in my stand to take a break, and if I hadn't been watching, it would have hit the floor - it just slipped right through.

That was a Tele-GUITAR, not a bass though.

Just beware.

Evil Funk likes this.
  19. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Regular stands work just fine for me. My guitarist's explorer guitar even sits fine in one.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021