Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar stands=warped necks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JonTheBassGuy, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Ive done a search and couldnt fine anything on this so here we go.

Do guitar stands such as these warp necks?[​IMG]
    Some guy at guitar center told me they did and i wanted to make sure. :confused:

Thanks

-Jon

2. Not those particular kind. IIRC the cheap ones will bleach the back of the neck of the bass. I learned the hard way. On the back of my Jazz there is a lighter strip than the rest of the neck. Could he have been talking about the ones where it rests on the headstock? AFAIK, no, there is no damage to the neck...

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I wouldn't worry about it. I use one like in the pic and have had no problems to speak of.

There you go. :p

4. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Ya I dont believe anything they say so I figured I'd better ask some people with more experience.

-Jon

5. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    That kind doesent, but the ones where they hang by the headstock (on the wall for an example) supposedly does.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Rockstands by Warwick put all the force of the neck perpendicular to the force of the strings, so there's no worry there.
    [​IMG]

7. I have a Hercules stand, where the bass hangs by its headstock, and as you hang it up, it causes a couple of tabs to drop down and hold it in place. Very neat, and very stable.

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/product.php?product_id=GS414B

The manufacturers claim that this reduces the possibility of neck warp, so if you have something authoritiative that says otherwise, please share it.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If the force of being "held up" warps a neck, the neck was P.O.S. anyway. A decent bass will NOT warp just from being in a stand. Take most of what you hear from GC-tards with a grain of salt.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The Hercules stands are great..especially for live shows.

I tend to agree that if a stand, padded nonetheless, will damage the neck that the neck probably wasn't that great in the first place.

We use the Warwick Rockstands like Timothy mentioned and thy're awesome/top quality in my book. We got the Rockstands that are collapsible and built into ATA cases.

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have kept mine in stands like that and never had a problem.

11. I can't see any stand that doesn't pull the body and headstock one way and push in the center of the neck warping any neck.

Again, the major problem with any stand is the padding that's used on it. Many types of rubber will react with nitrocellulose lacquer. Otherwise, the stand focuses the instrument's weight onto a few small points. However the padding reacts to the finish- it's concentrated on those few points.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Aside from an inherently bad neck to begin with, a stand will not do anything to warp a neck.

Furthermore, any stand where the bass hangs from the headstock will cause absolutely no problems as there is no force on any part of the neck (aside from gravity). These types of stands (or wall brackets) just allow the bass to hang straight down with no pressure anywhere on the bass itself.