Guitar strung bass? is it possible

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tucker, Jul 13, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Umm. Well I was planning on buying a six string bass(maybe fretless,actually no fretless) but anyways i was planning on haivng strung E-A-D-G-B-C would that be odd
    i mean the strings would be bass strings but they would be tuned to guitar tunings. I dunno maybe someone will do it and be rich. Its a thought. But i decided no to do it cause of the l;ack of money i have. What are you opinions on this
  2. Last time I checked, standard guitar tuning was E-A-D-G-B-E
  3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    oops my bad.Ok so im a little tired right now. I know the tuning was off but sorry about that.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think SlapDaddy tried a guitar-type tuning with a
    Conk GT-7 he got from...somewheres :). Cain't find
    the exact post right now .
  5. Jt does have he's 7 strings tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-E. But baritone guitars which is a bass guitar with guitar tuning. the bass is a octive down for all you who don't know that
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    sorry to blow your bubble but your wrong..

Fender Bass VI uses the EADGBE Tuning, which is a guitar tuning but the Fender Bass VI is considered a BASS..

A <U>Baritone</U> Guitars are tuned ADGCEA if you never knew. Fender Bass VI has a longer neck/thicker strings than a Baritone Guitar would.

just had to point that out :D
  7. NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I've heard of people doing this before, but unless you want to grab full on, six string chords, why would you want to? Sure, having the B instead of a C makes plying most open chords, and several bar chords a whole lot easier, but is just a huge pain (ok just a small pain), otherwise. It throws off all sorts of scale patterns etc., and makes it harder (though only very very very slightly) to tune. (I generally tune to my harmonic pitches, but that don't work for the B string). I say keep the C, the bassists were smart to do things in 4ths all the way across, why mess up a good thing.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I doubt anyone will get rich off the idea. There are a few manufacturers on the market, though not all that common, that do offer "Piccolo Basses". Generally speaking, these are basses that are tuned just like a bass, but an octave up. I've only seen 'em in 4-string models. Peavey is one manufacturer who had a version of the old Brian Bromberg bass in a piccolo version.

I'm sure you could still get the strings for it and tune your bass the way you're talking.