Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Teachers Question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Oct 21, 2002.

1. My teacher is a guitarist, not a bassist, he gave me a question to ask you guys.
    When playing straight semi-quavers what finger do you start plucking with?
    I told him that it depends on what you are playing, when moving, say, from A to E you would rake with your first and then when ascending, A to G, you would start with your second finger. Is this correct, have we any written rules on what left hand fingering to use and when?

2. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    While some fingerings are certainly better than others there is really no rigid fingering system for electric bass.

3. well, usually what would you use and when?

4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Personally I usually start phrases with my right hand fing finger or middle finger. The left hand depends on the particular piece/key you're playing in. You may want to look up some things about cello fingerings, a lot of the lower position ideas can be applied to electric bass. Upright fingerings may be of interest too but because of the differing size of fingerboards some upright fingerings don't work too well on electric. For example, for Gmaj you could finger it 0-1-4-1-4-1-3-4 all on the G string.