Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar threw bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DevinI, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i have a peavey 210 watt amp it has 1 15 inch speaker is it safe to run a guitar threw it ?

2. Yes, just turn down the EQ on the amp. I had the same question not too long ago and now I've been running it through my bass amp for the past month or so with NO problems.

3. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    u mean put it flat or under flat? and if so then all the way down

4. just do like barely any if u want any. someone said it possibly could ruin the amp if the EQ is up a lot.

5. i don't see how the eq being up would make any difference with guitar than it would with bass

6. Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and others played through bass amps. Adjust the eq the way you want it. It won't ruin the amp. Oh, my guitarist has been using a Marshall 400 Watt bass amps for years and taking full advantage of the eq.

7. Just repeating what I was told...

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Man, I thought this was going to be about domestic violence in the practice room, but it is just a boring technical question. Rats. :meh:

Guitar amps naturally roll off alot of low end and hi end, even when set flat. So running a guitar through a bass amp (which doesn't attenuate the frequencies the way a guitar amp does), may sound a little odd, especially with distortion. But that may be just what you are going for, so nobody can tell you you're wrong.

And no, you can't hurt the amp.

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm a member of the TB Grammar Police. May I please see your license and registration? Do you have any idea why I pulled you over? No? Well, you are in violation of using the incorrect homophone for the correct word-- in this case "threw" for "through." Any further infractions will lead to a meeting with the forum moderators and the Grammar Police Chief.

10. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Nothing worse than a guitar through a bass amp. Unless.....it's a tweed Fender Bassman.

11. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    My Strat sounds incredible through my Fender Bassman 25, far superior to my Princeton 65. Run it through a SansAmp GT-2 into the Bassman and...WOW!

Just gotta get a reverb pedal, though. :bassist:

12. My recent GC mailer has a 'play Clapton's gear' page with a picture of a Strat... and a Fender Bassman. I thought that was an error, but now I'm guessing it wasn't.

13. Called Ampeg to ask this question about a portabass 250 1x12 combo.

Q: Can you play a guitar through it?
    A: playing clean through it should be fine. If you set the distortion high and blast away you might blow the tweeter out. Distortion can damage the amp. Clean guitar should be no problem.

Q: Can you play a guitar and a bass through the same amp simultaneously?
    A: yes, though you have the same restrictions as above (no distortion). You will have to share EQ which could make things difficult. One of the inputs is 'active' and lower dB, but you can get around that with active preamps or the proper pedal.

14. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    ok thanks i guess last question could i use a guitar threw bass pedals as well? thing is i play bass mainly but every now and then its fun to play some guitar, so i dont want to waist money on a guitar setup when i dont play it that much

15. I know many people who are excellent spellers and many who are poor spellers, but I don't know anyone who misspells words intentionally. Do you think he's doing it on purpose? And if not, why mock him for his mistake?

16. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i dont take my grammar and sentence structure that seriously when it doesnt really matter sorry but thanks for advice

17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I have a squier 15 thing and Vista strat. The higher notes sound like poopy, the lower notes sound like gold.

I went to the guitar store today and my Dad wants to buy me this huge guitar amp for my birthday. I don't own a guitar amp so I was happy when he said it. :D

18. Man you have a cool dad. Mine barely let me buy my own amp when I was in high school.

I don't take my grammar very seriously any moor. But she's dead now. But even before that she suffered from senility - I had to introduce myself every thyme I saw her.

(Sarcastic Rant on)
    Come on you guys - why play so many games? This is a bass form not a grammar form! It usta be I coont even spel enjunear, now I are one!
    (Rant off)

Now for the serious stuff. I've played my acoustic guitar threw my bass amps alot. Sum careful EQ took the clankyness out of it and it sounded wonderful. EA recommends their amps for acoustic base and keyboreds, so why not acoustic guitar? Just dial in the EQ you like for it and it's cool. And if you play multiple instruments, why not buy a Raven Labs mixer dealy (can't remember the model) or even a little mixing bored that wood give you separate EQ for each channel.

19. if i remember right clapton will only play through fender bassman heads..... our guitarist is using one. it sounds absolutely killer...

20. The only time I've ever really seen any problems with this was when I was in High School. The school owned an original Ampeg flip-top amp. One kid brought in a guitar that he had loaded with the ultra-hot Dimarzzio "Super Distortion" pups (which were brand new at the time). That guitar (those pups, actually) fried the Ampeg almost instantly. Of course, I don't have any way of knowing if the amp was about to die anyway. It might have done that even if I plugged a bass into it.