1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar throu bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Texx, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    Quick´n simple...
    Is it save to play a guitar (w/ high distortion) throu my bergantino NV610?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yes, its safe, but it might not sound very good. a bass is alot harder on a speaker than a guitar.

3. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany

4. An old guitar player of mine modified a Peavey Classic 30 into a head unit and played it through an older Fender 215 bass cabinet and it sounded sweeeeeeet.

5. Josh Homme uses ampeg bass cabs to get his bass heavy tone.... and he seems to be making a decent living out of it... so yeah, go for it

6. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    If you play drop tuned chords or 7-stringed chords, the cab should give a good bottom boost to your sound. There is no safety issue that I can think of.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    It will sounds like your guitarist is eq'd funny, probably want to gut some low mids, and boost high mids. Oh, and most importantly, turn the tweeter off, that will sounds really horrible. No guitarist wants to hear the true sound of their instrument accurately represented.

8. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    forgot to mention that the amp is an old Ampeg V4B which is basically a guitar amp with a EQ voiced for bass from what i´ve read here. So maybe i won´t have to tweak much.
    Thank´s for assureing me it´s save...

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    no. 10's sound great for guitar (like in a Fender super reverb), but the berg's 10's are made for bass and may not have the freq response (i.e. tone) that is best suited for a guitar. most guitarists are very particular as to the 'voicing' of the speakers that they use, and they also like them to break up a bit, which would be pretty hard to do with a guitar in an NV610.

10. It'll be fine. I don't have a guitar amp larger than a tiny combo, so if I want more than that I just use my bass rig.

11. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Running a guitar through a Bergie? Seems like an insult to the Bergie. :D
    Oh, and it probably won't sound very good.
    But sure, it's SAFE.

12. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    98 % of the time a Fender P-Bass through a breaking up tube amp will satisfy the Berg : )
    ...just want to abuse the guitar every now and then