Guitar through a bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jul 24, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    The guitarist of my band wants to borrow my behringer bx600 for a practise amp for a trip he's taking.

is using a bass amp for a guitar harmful to the amp?

does it even work?
  2. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    how does it sound in comparison to a guitar on guitar amp set up?
  3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Bass amps, as you might expect, make a guitar sound very deep and punchy, with a lot less upper midrange. Some of them offer a better "clean" sound than most guitar amps. However, the wattage on a lot of bass amps is just overkill for guitar, and you won't be able to get the same kind of distortion out of them. You can use a pedal, preamp or FX processor for distortion, but you may want to turn the tweeter off on any bass cabs first.
  4. I've actually done this before, and yes it does work, no it won't harm the amp. You could probably even whammy up two octaves while playing 5th fret harmonics.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Bass amps are built to take anything you throw at it.

Guitar amps are built to take less than you throw at it.

Neither has any real design flaws, they are built the way they are because of what the users want.

Guitarist want to overdrive the amp, so the amps are made to take less than what they get.

Bassist want headroom and pure bass goodness, so their amps are made to take more than they need to.

Guitar amps also cut some of the guitars natrual low end, but since guitarist are used to it and bassist like control of that teritory, no one complains.

It wont sound like a guitar amp, but it wont hurt.

Its 6:07 am so im going to sleep now.

6. it wont do anyharm to your amp. Some bands, like the great "kyuss: use bass amps instead of guitar amps. It'll give a different sound but hey he might like it:)
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Bass amps are more like mini-PAs than they are guitar amps, they are often full-range with lots of head-room and meant to not distort (much). They work well as powered speakers for something like a POD or DG Stomp, but not so well as a guitar amp (unless you want super clean sounds). IMHO, of course.
  8. It will work but I would suggest getting a distortion/overdrive pedal
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah it will work fine.. Bass cab speakers are full range speakers... they will take pretty much whatever you give it.. so long as it is within reason
  10. I've been running a strat w/Boss Overdrive pedal through my 80w Samick bass amp for a couple years now. Never at high volumes for long periods of time but my amp is fine. However, the sound really really sucks. It's missing high-end definition and just...doesn't...sound...right...
  11. there was a time when all the guitarists (it seemed) wanted to play through Bassman 100s.